Fridgemate Done - Lager Time!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katana

Reaction score
Ok.

Got my FridgeMate setup and running. I`m ready to put down a toucan Coopers Lager - 23 litres(mainly to use up the tin that came with the kit).

Should I use both of the Coopers Yeasts and ferment at 18 C or use the Safelager S-23 at 11 C ?

Bear in mind, this is only my 3rd brew and previously I have done a Tooheys Dark Ale and a Coopers Stout. Both of these brews had Dark Dry malt added and were cooled in my laundry tub at around 24~26 C and came out very moorish.

I also have some Saaz and Tettnanger (Morgans Pouches) that I`ll throw into the pot after deciding which one! I threw a Fuggles into my Stout and was happy with the outcome. I intend to boil one of the cans with 4~5 litres of water to drive off some of the bitterness and go from there.

All thoughts appreciated. Cheers!

There is no question about it Throw the coopers yeast and use the Safelager yeast and brew around 10-14c. The final product will taste so much better.

Good luck

And use the saaz hops imo.

do a little boil, half the pack at 20min, the rest at 5min

no idea how big the packs are, so just a guesstimate there :p

Thanks Guys.

I wasn`t sure the Safelager would handle the extra fermentables. I will do my boil tonight and pitch in the morning at 24 C then pop it in the fridge.

The Saaz hop bags are 12 grams. Should I open it up and do the split time thing or just boil it for 20mins?

Thanks Again.

Thanks Guys.

I wasn`t sure the Safelager would handle the extra fermentables. I will do my boil tonight and pitch in the morning at 24 C then pop it in the fridge.

The Saaz hop bags are 12 grams. Should I open it up and do the split time thing or just boil it for 20mins?

Thanks Again.

if they are only 12g, id be trying my best to get another one or two if possible.

12g really is bugger all hops...

Don't bother too much at this stage about technical stuff. Hang back on the saaz and wait till ferment stops. Boil up some water (not really necessary) throw hops in for 5 or 10, then into the brew juice and all. Leave for a week and you're done.

g

Man, wish I had a decent setup! I'm confined to a dormitory wardrobe, and just got the word from Head Residential Advisor that he doesn't want me brewing - like, what...I'm going to make an explosion with plastic bottles? Yeah, right. Suppose he didn't make the rules though.

If it's not too late, I'd definitely go the Tettnanger - one of my personal favourites, but either Saaz or Tett are fine choices. I've also had great results with Saflager in my winter brews, probably only averaged around 16'C though...

Anwyays hope it all goes well - you'll enjoy the outcome!

Hey Guys,
Just revisiting an old thread.

After 8 weeks of bottle conditioning this brew turned out great! I went with the Saaz (12g bag) and left it in for the complete fermentation - 2 weeks 10C; 3 weeks lagering 4C. The Saaz shines through the brew nicely. Great head, crystal clear and definitely will be done again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

boingk - How`s the "Undercover Brewery" coming along?

Hey Guys,
Just revisiting an old thread.

After 8 weeks of bottle conditioning this brew turned out great! I went with the Saaz (12g bag) and left it in for the complete fermentation - 2 weeks 10C; 3 weeks lagering 4C. The Saaz shines through the brew nicely. Great head, crystal clear and definitely will be done again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

boingk - How`s the "Undercover Brewery" coming along?

Hi katana

Did you just it a try straight out of the secondary? I did (using a kit + enhancer + Saf23) and it was great. Turned out very smooth after 2 weeks and only getting better with age.

Cheers

sumo - If you mean "Did I try it at bottling time?" You bet I did!!! It was at 4~5 degrees. No bubbles, but very nice.

Thanks Guys.

Thanks Again.

So do you pitch lager yeast at 24 deg. ?? I thought you would pitch it in range at around 15 deg. or below...

I am yet to brew with it.

Cocko - From the Fermentis Data Sheet ~

Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 23C 3C. Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

I re-hydrated in cooled boiled water.

Hi Cocko,

I pitched into primary @ about 22C, and didn't stir it as the yeast seems to find it's way home! Into the lager fridge to reduce from 22C to 12C over the next 5 days.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back