Fridge Size For 4 Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
Just a quick question.

What are the internal dimensions needed for a fridge to hold 4 kegs (CraftBrewer 18L)? ie 450mm width, 450mm depth, 700mm height

Cheers,

Youngy

It all depends on the size of the kegs as they vary a little.

A 400L fridge should fit 4 in, or you can use a chest freezer.

I bought a 160 litre Fisher & Paykel h160 freezer and it fits 4 kegs easy.

Steve

Dont forget that to take into account the fridge door modification, it some times means you can use a smaller fridge as the door plastic takes up a considerable amount of room!

Fridge Door Modification How To

That said, I have yet to do mine!

John

What are the internal dimensions needed for a fridge to hold 4 kegs (CraftBrewer 18L)? ie 450mm width, 450mm depth, 700mm height

The somewhat obvious answer is that a 900 x 900 chest freezer will squeeze them in (height is less important because you'll likely be putting a collar on it anyway. As others have pointed out, remember that some cornies are slightly different dimensions. Same goes for a fridge, but then height is important.

Less obviously, you can get away with one dimension being a little smaller if the other is lager, because you can "stagger" the kegs. By my calculation (disclaimer: It's been many, many years since I did trigonometry :)), 1125 x 770 will squeeze them in staggered. [Anyone feel like checking this? - I got 2.5d x d+d*tan(45)]

Thanks for the replies,

I already have a small Chest freezer with 2 kegs in it, I cannot add a collar due to the compressor hump being 35cm high and it will make the taps on the font too high to pour.

I am going to purchase a fridge (can get one cheap hopefully) to hold 4 kegs for Lagering.

I know the kegs are approx 210mm, but I was wondering what is a comfortable size people have used to store the kegs.

my guess is 500mm x 500mm or do I need more space?. I am getting the people to measure the inside of the fridge for me before I purchase.

Cheers,

Youngy

Will this be enough?

Inner Width: 47cm
Inner Depth: 43cm
Inner Height from compressor hump: 75cm

Woops - I misread your question: I thought you said your kegs were 450x450, and it didn't click that it'd be ridiculous. :)

The "normal" cornies are about 20.5cm diameter, and are about 63cm high. Therefore, a 47x43x75 will hold your kegs nicely.
The "squat" cornies are about 22.5cm diameter, and are only 56cm high, so that fridge won't hold them trivially, but you might be able to fit them in staggered.

Back