Fridge Shorting My Power Via Stc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is throwing the safety switch it may be recoverable, if the sparky mate is available. If it is throwing the circuit breaker it may be a bit more of an issue
It's not the switch titled 'Safety Switch', no. It's titled "Power N/L". STC/fridge throws it to off, which cuts the power to all my powerpoints in the house. By throwing it back on (with fridge turned off), power resumes.

Doesn't sound promising.
My guess is the fridge is now rooted. Possibly due to the stc, so before you go plugging another fridge into it, you will want to check the wiring. Consider using a different sparkie :)

yes dont plug the STC into another fridge....

if you have a lamp / light bulb i would test it with that by changing the set point to get it to turn a lamp on and off based on ambient air temp

the lamp works... damnit... I need a new fridge...

Sounds like a dead short, check the lead for cuts or nicks, and if you can check the cable termination in the fridge, it may have just been bumped in transit, though probably still need your sparky mate to check it.

Sounds like a dead short, check the lead for cuts or nicks, and if you can check the cable termination in the fridge, it may have just been bumped in transit, though probably still need your sparky mate to check it.
would that explain the gurgle, and subsequent puff of smoke (gunpowder smell) that appeared when it first shorted?

I would say no.

If it was a dead short it would trip the breaker quicker than the fridge would need to create a 'Puff'.. or similar shorting to damage it, as OP said, has not been tested prior....

So, we have plugged in the STC to a lamp and works. = Not STC.
We have plugged in fridge to wall and doesn't work = Fridge.

So, what are we trying to do here, fix the fridge?

[Sorry, didn't read much due to it being boring]

sc.

well it's either fix the fridge, or get rid of it and get another one... gonna get ol' mate to take a look at it first to see if I need to cross that dreaded bridge (again).

No offence intended Speisy, but it sounds like you don't know what to look for, so it's probably best for your health that you don't go poking around back there.
Asking for a diagnosis on the net is only getting you guesstimations.
Get sparky mate, or somone who knows what they're on about to check the fridge and doublecheck the wiring in the stc.
Hope you can get it going again.

I would say no.

If it was a dead short it would trip the breaker quicker than the fridge would need to create a 'Puff'.. or similar shorting to damage it, as OP said, has not been tested prior....

So, we have plugged in the STC to a lamp and works. = Not STC.
We have plugged in fridge to wall and doesn't work = Fridge.

So, what are we trying to do here, fix the fridge?

[Sorry, didn't read much due to it being boring]

sc.

Sorry Cocko, was just simplifying it for the common folk. Was meaning it is more likely an active-neutral fault rather than an active-earth fault.

EDIT: though petesbrew is probably more on the money, it is hard to fault find over the net

Latest posts

Back