Fridge question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoo4u

Reaction score
If a fridge thermostat fails closed, such that mains power is fed continuously to the motor/compressor, will any harm be done if, after it reaches it's minimum possible temperature, it's just left running?

Situation is the fridge, with STC-1000 controller, was getting erratic - stopping before set temperature was reached, then re-starting some time later, running for a bit, then stopping again - you get the picture. Now this is the dead-set simplest possible fridge, with no fancy heaters, beeper alarms, digital control panels, etc - just a plain generic bar fridge.

I investigated the terminal block where the mains power enters, and it was a bit sad, with a loose push-on connector (on neutral), and generally dirty contacts. I figured that if that's on the outside of the fridge, the contacts on the inside (thermostat, light) might also be sus. So I tightened and cleaned the connections in the terminal block, bypassed the thermostat, and directed mains power directly to the motor. So far it's running non-stop, and temperature is pulling down nicely.

I'll re-instate it into the brew shed, and plug it into the STC-1000 to control temperature, but my question was more general, really - if the thermostat, whether it be the original one or an after-market external one (ie - STC-1000), fails closed, can you just leave a fridge running non-stop, or will it stuff the compressor?

i replaced a thermostat in a bar fridge that just ran constant if plugged in

the thermostat was stuffed and caused it to run constant
i hard wired in the STC into the wiring bypassing the thermostat.
fridge now runs perfect just like a normal fridge just ha a STC for a thermosts :)
the stc is mounted now in beside the compresser, so if i need to change it i do need to get to the ack of the fridge
but it currently does not back onto a wall sort of thing so easy for me

sounds like your fridge thrmo is stuffed, i would hard wire in the STC and see how it goes

Maheel said:
the thermostat was stuffed and caused it to run constant
OK - sort of answers my question, in as much as no harm done, in the short term at least. I have no idea whether the refrigerant is gaseous, liquid (or might freeze solid) when the fridge interior reaches 0C (that's IF it does) and whether that might over-strain the compressor. Come to think of it, a freezer goes down to -18C, so maybe it's just not an issue, apart from running costs and developing a taste for beer ice blocks :) .

Anyway, been using the STC-1000 for quite a while now with no problems, and haven't heard of any with contacts failing closed...

Thanks guys.

With the compressor constantly running could result in liquid refrigerant making it's way back to compressor smashing it's guts out.

Back