Fridge Efficiency Experiment Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
My beer fridge sits in the laundry off the kitchen, it faces west and has southerly and westerly facing window, so it gets pretty warm. I noticed the fridge running a lot and decided to run a bit of an experiment to see if I could get the fridge running cheaper. I bought a fridgemate and wired it all up, I then attached a power meter so I could collect the power usage over a two week period for each stage of the experiment. Fridge set at 4c:

1) Run fridge as standard baseline
2) add 3/4" styrofoam board to left/right/top/bottom of fridge, so extra insulation on four sides
3) add $10 desk fan to exterior coils
4) add $10 desk fan to interior coils

Results are graphed in the following images.

Some notes about the blow out on "outside fan". Turns out that adding the fan made the coolant a boat load more effective at chilling the freezer compartment. Kind of expected. But, what I did not expect is that all the little cracks & gaps in the fridge, including where I had the taps coming through the front door allowed a lot of moisture in. The added efficiency on the coolant resulted in a MASSIVE load of ice developing in the freezer compartment. Meaning the compressor had to run overtime to try and keep the temp where I had it set.

Some notes about the blow out on "inside fan". After the outside fan blow out notes above, I defrosted the fridge, drilled a hole for the fridgemate probe so that it went through the fridge wall instead of between the seal and the door and sealed it up with silicone, used silicone to seal up where the taps came through the door. I had the interior fan sitting on the base of the fridge blowing air up to the freezer compartment. Turned out this was not good, all it did was mix up the air in the main fridge compartment, so it went from 5c when the compressor turned on and jumped up to 6c. Took ages to cool down again.

Final changes for Inside Fan #2. Added 3/4" foam to inside of fridge door, insulated the tap shanks inside the fridge. Siliconed up all the little cracks and screw holes inside fridge. Then I mounted the fan at the rear of the fridge, as close to the freezer compartment as possible, sucking cool air down rather than blowing it up. It now turns on at 5c and takes about 5 minutes running to get it back to below 4c where it turns off. It runs stuff all now.

So after all this, probably at a total cost of around $30, my fridge is looking like its going to cost me half the amount to run annually than it did before. This will extend the life of the fridge as well!

Two_Week_Electric_Usage_kWh.jpg

Two_Week_charge_at_18c_per_kWh.jpg

Annual_estimate.jpg

Great stuff!

Can you tell us more about the inside fan. Perhaps a photograph of how it's installed?

Probably a good point!

Here are a few pictures to help out. With the inside fan, I can pull the meat tray foward enough that there is about 8cm between the back of the fridge and the meat tray. This is because I replaced the door plastic trim with masonite. This allows the fan to pull freezing air directly from the freezer compartment down to the keg area.

<edit spellun!>

FridgeExperiment_001s.jpg

FridgeExperiment_002s.jpg

FridgeExperiment_003s.jpg

FridgeExperiment_004s.jpg

FridgeExperiment_005s.jpg

FridgeExperiment_006s.jpg

Bloke a small point but one worth exploring. Check out the wattage of your current fan and then check out the wattage of a small computer fan. The thermal load of your fan will be higher and you may further benefit by swapping over. Potentially a factor worth considering.
Cheers
Doug

Fraser John,
That is a good result and good data.

I agree an internal fan makes a massive difference to your fridges efficiency from both a cost and process perspective. Like above I use a computer fan.

Fear_n_Loath.

Bloke a small point but one worth exploring. Check out the wattage of your current fan and then check out the wattage of a small computer fan. The thermal load of your fan will be higher and you may further benefit by swapping over. Potentially a factor worth considering.
Cheers
Doug

Those little fans I got from Bunnings are rated 15 watt, so not terribly concerned, but you are right, a computer fan would be more efficient and would add to the savings!

The computer fan would also have the advantage of being easier to mount in good locations. The downside of them would be you need to get pretty big ones to move an equivalent amount of air as the desk fans do. With the desk fan at the rear of the fridge, I can feel good air movement at the top of the cooling coils.

Not too sure about the weather in Vic at the moment, but in sydney it has cooled down a fair bit over the past couple of weeks.. Have you taken this into account?

Those little fans I got from Bunnings are rated 15 watt, so not terribly concerned, but you are right, a computer fan would be more efficient and would add to the savings!

The computer fan would also have the advantage of being easier to mount in good locations. The downside of them would be you need to get pretty big ones to move an equivalent amount of air as the desk fans do. With the desk fan at the rear of the fridge, I can feel good air movement at the top of the cooling coils.

I've seen several large computer fans. While dumpster diving at work when they were throwing out a heap of stuff I managed to score a pair of 12cm fans. Also scored the three fan setup below. Haven't tried it out yet. The three fan setup would be good for the outside of the fridge forcing air over the coils. Even includes ducting to redirect the flow of air :)

fan.jpg

jsg

Hi, just to dig this thread up from the past..

Will 120mm fans be adequate?

2 inside, 2 outside?

Also, my serving fridge is factory 'fan forced' and it has a seperate freezer and the evap coils are internal, so what can I do to improve efficiency fan wise?

Just to add, in the freezer of my serving fridge I have a 15L cube 3/4 filled w? frozen water and ferm fridge is filled w/ filled water bottles..

Here are the fans I'm looking at;
http://www.msy.com.au/qld/varsitylakes/pc-accessories/12168-partlist-pl-fan12cm-12cm-case-cooling-fan.html

Back