Fresh Wort Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,
For my next brew I am going to buy a fresh wort kit. Any suggestions of good or bad brands or beer styles? The temp. is rising here in sunny qld so I will be brewing in the low 20's (with a little help from some ice blocks) I am just wondering what other brewers experiences with FWK have been like.
Cheers
aches

G'day Aches,

I have done a couple, infact have a couple down now. They produce a really nice beer in my opinion, but you do feel a bit fraudulent as they are so easy. My preferences thus far have to be:

No 1: Brewers Selection 5 Malts Amber Ale - This would be the BEST beer I have drunk todate, no exaggeration (Don't get up me you All Grainers :) )

No 2: NNL American Amber Ale

I have found making these to 20 litres produces a much better product. Yes I know you are getting less beer for this, but it's worth it.

My two bobs worth anyhow.

Cheers,
Spiderpig

Do most of you just add water and yeast, or do you customise them slightly?

Do most of you just add water and yeast, or do you customise them slightly?
Ive done this pack three times.
First time I left it alone.
Excellent, but lowish...4% ??? on alcohol.
2nd time I added 500g DME.
I preferred the stronger version.

Just don't do what I did with the 5 Malt Amber....

I stuck the wort in the fermenter, topped it up with some water, checked the OG and Temp then pitched the yeast.

All sounds good, except being the dill I am I topped it to 23 litres, not ~18.

At least I now have a reasonable light beer on hand.

You know when you just switch into auto-pilot mode?

Rabz

I can't find the Brewers Selection 5 Malts Amber Ale on there web site

Where can i find it?

i used a Pride Of Ringwood hop sock, dry hopped in a Brewers selection kit --Aussie Pale Ale

kegged yesterday
gassed today
tasting in 30min

mmmmmmm beer

Hi Guys,

The five malts amber ale can be hard to find outside of Sydney LHBS's. I'm in Newie and had to travel down to Dave's Home Brew in North Sydney (thanks Dave). I know he has a few in stock.

It is a beauty of a brew, I'm happy with the alcohol content, so I don't feel there is anything you need to do with it. The flavour is what I have found all my mates love the most, it's seriously good shite. I've got this one in the bottle conditioning up nicely for my Christmas Hols, 30 tallies and 65 stubbies. Yum, can't wait.

If you can track this one down, it's worth the investment.

Cheers everyone,
Spiderpig

Hi Guys,

The five malts amber ale can be hard to find outside of Sydney LHBS's. I'm in Newie and had to travel down to Dave's Home Brew in North Sydney (thanks Dave). I know he has a few in stock.

Spiderpig

Spidey,

Although Dave's is a great shop, Mark at Asquith Homebrew (Pacific Hwy Asquith) also stocks a heap of Brewers Selection. Might save an hour or so (to and from Newie) as you would probably drive straight past Asquith!

Rabz

Cheers up Rabz,

Thanks for that, getting to Nth Sydney is a drama for me. Asquith will work quite nicely. I appreciate the heads up on that, nice work.

Cheerio,
Spiderpig

Hi all,
For my next brew I am going to buy a fresh wort kit. Any suggestions of good or bad brands or beer styles? The temp. is rising here in sunny qld so I will be brewing in the low 20's (with a little help from some ice blocks) I am just wondering what other brewers experiences with FWK have been like.
Cheers
aches

I've done 2, the northwest ale (spose to be a LCPA clone) was terrible.
The amarillo ale(Golden Ale Clone) was a nice beer, but only slightly resembled JSGA.

Hi all,
Cheers
aches

Go the N/W APA made by ND brewing. By far the best I've had, other than the Summer Ale which is on its way...

Use will Californian Ale liquid yeast and don't do anything else.

Brewers Choice and Craftbrewer both stock them.

Cheers,
Parks

Cheers up Rabz,

Thanks for that, getting to Nth Sydney is a drama for me. Asquith will work quite nicely. I appreciate the heads up on that, nice work.

Cheerio,
Spiderpig

If you are travelling from North of the Mooney Mooney bridge you may want to pop in and see Bob at the Ultimate Homebrew Shop in Gosford. He carries a full range of the fresh wort products.

Gosford - 8/31, Dwyer Street, Gosford, NSW 2250. Phone: (02) 4322 2666 Fax: (02) 4322 4222

I am not affiliated with the shop in any way I just frequent it for all my supplies.

Cheers

Captainbrewer

If you are travelling from North of the Mooney Mooney bridge you may want to pop in and see Bob at the Ultimate Homebrew Shop in Gosford. He carries a full range of the fresh wort products.

Gosford - 8/31, Dwyer Street, Gosford, NSW 2250. Phone: (02) 4322 2666 Fax: (02) 4322 4222

I am not affiliated with the shop in any way I just frequent it for all my supplies.

Cheers

Captainbrewer

Thanks for the info. Im in Brissy so the Sydney LHBS are no go. Is the 5 malt ale available online? I would rather buy it from a LHBS rather than buy online but dont mind if it is a particularly good brew.

Thanks for the info. Im in Brissy so the Sydney LHBS are no go. Is the 5 malt ale available online? I would rather buy it from a LHBS rather than buy online but dont mind if it is a particularly good brew.
ps I dont think it is cheating on this one. Im a bit short of time at the moment and really want to test out the quality of this stuff. I know it sounds bad but sometimes it is about the drinking not the brewing. :icon_drunk: Im looking forward to doing AG over xmas but want to some good beer ready before than

You can order it online or maybe over the phone from www.asquithhomebrewing.com.au (Mark). It's in their web shop.

Maybe one of the forum's sponsors has it too?

Cheers - Fermented.

Back