Fresh Wort Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbytaxman

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to get back into brewing after a long hiatus. All my gear has been sold so starting from scratch. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Kettle Sour FWK? Are they still available and who sells them?

Thanks all 🍺🍺

I'm not aware of any but that doesn't mean they dont exist.
I think your easiest option is to buy a standard lager FWK and some Philly Sour yeast and just ferment with that for a very similar outcome. Add fruit etc in the ferment as desired.

Grain and grape have a Berliner weiss/gose FWK available, although I suspect the shipping from Melbourne to the Sunny Coast might be a bit hefty.

I've made it a few times, and it was very good.

JD

I'm not aware of any but that doesn't mean they dont exist.
I think your easiest option is to buy a standard lager FWK and some Philly Sour yeast and just ferment with that for a very similar outcome. Add fruit etc in the ferment as desired.

Yes this is what I would recommend. The Philly Sour does a good job at just providing a clean sourness. It lacks the complexity of sourness that some sour beers will give you but ultimately if you want to simulate kettle sour then it will be similar to this.

We did actually put this together in this fresh wort kit that includes the philly sour yeast:
Fresh3 - Sour Batch Kids Fresh Wort Kit with Yeast - Full Recipe Kit

Please be aware that if you ad dextrose this will increase the sourness.

Just out of interest if we do expand our fresh wort kit range what other kits would you guys like to see? Is a Kettle Sour fresh wort kit the only one that we are missing is are there others that we need to look at. We are always keen to hear back from you guys.

Just out of interest if we do expand our fresh wort kit range what other kits would you guys like to see? Is a Kettle Sour fresh wort kit the only one that we are missing is are there others that we need to look at. We are always keen to hear back from you guys.
A kettle sour would be awesome. Personally I don’t go for IPA this or XPA that DDH hopping … bleugh … that is not for me (respectful of others tastes). Yes I have tried them and hops in your face is not my thing. Sours are 👍👍

A kettle sour would be awesome. Personally I don’t go for IPA this or XPA that DDH hopping … bleugh … that is not for me (respectful of others tastes). Yes I have tried them and hops in your face is not my thing. Sours are 👍👍

No worries. Well if that is the case what is your favorite kettle sour recipe?

I'd love to see something like a Dark Mild - also a Marzen would be awesome.

ANZAC Day Biscuit Ale I use Lyle's golden syrup added at end of boil.

Good choice of wort kit.

Just relating to FWKs (All In Brewing), I've been brewing them for a while but found that they all seem to taste the same, or very similar.
Anyone else found this? I'm going back to extract brewing.

Just relating to FWKs (All In Brewing), I've been brewing them for a while but found that they all seem to taste the same, or very similar.
Anyone else found this? I'm going back to extract brewing.
Yeah I reckon they do a bit too mate, at least the standard type ales. You need to dose them with hops but I can’t be bothered. They are easy and cheap enough for the ease though

Something really tangy with lemon … or raspberry … Atomic brew a lemon whip sour and that is my beer right now .. if you can package something similar .. you have won me

Thanks for that. I will get some of the Atomic Brew Lemon Whip Sour and we will see if we can work out how to reverse engineer this recipe. I must say have have not tried this sour before.

Back