Forgot Some Salts, Will It Be A Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
I left some salts that brendanos had given me for todays brew in the car. They were MgSO4 and CaCO3.
The problem is my gf has gone to work for the day with the car.

I am brewing a Belgian Pale Ale, using distilled water:
60% Pale Malt
25% Wheat Malt
5% Caraamber
10% Sugar

25g Sterling fwh
20g Willamette 15mins

I was going to use the salts above as well as CaSO4, CaCl2 and NaCl. I have readjusted to get the calcium up, but was wondering if anyone thinks no Mg or CO3 will be a problem...

My very limited understanding is that Ca is most important and carbonates are best either left right out or used only in dark beers. Still something I'm fiddling with ( this adjustment thingy) but that is advice given to me by people who seem to know their stuff and in keeping with what I've read.

I regularly use CaCl2 and CaS04 only although I am also using melbourne tap water so it contains some Mg already. I can't remember if Mg is good for yeast health - if so is it possible to add a touch into the fermenting brew (or is that silly?)

Point of this post isn't so much to offer advice on stuff I'm still coming to terms with - more questions so that I can improve my understanding.

Mashed in now, using only what is above. Hit 65C.

Edit: All good. Calcium is important for yeast health and flocculation. Mg contributes to water hardness in a similar way to Ca, but to a lesser extant. More than 50ppm and you have a problem. When looking at water profiles in Belgium most of the big Trappist Breweries are in areas with higher levels of CO3, in the region of 200ppm. I was adding in around 45ppm, just to have something there. Was wondering a) if this would make any difference? and B) if leaving it out all together would be a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back