• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
G'day future hop farmers

I have POR and Chinook rhizomes for sale - $10 each plus postage (local pickup in the Adelaide Hills is fine)

Last year i held back a few just to check that they would grow and produce. They did and i was able to not only get a crop but also take cuttings from them too. This year the rhizomes are much bigger (some with a diameter of >2cm) with several purple shoots ready to go.

Postage will be express post satchel - I should be able to get 2 rhizomes in a 500g satchel.

500g $8.00
3000g $12.00

I will package each rhizome in coir (or similar) to keep moist. I WILL NOT post to WA or Tas.

PM me, don't create a list here. I have ~10 POR and ~20 chinook and will announce on this thread will they are all accounted for.

Cheers
DrSmurto

see..... $10 plus postage is how it should be done. Covers his time for putting in the gardening work and postage and thats about it. None of this $45-$95 per rhizome crap. Biggups DrS.

see..... $10 plus postage is how it should be done. Covers his time for putting in the gardening work and postage and thats about it. None of this $45-$95 per rhizome crap. Biggups DrS.

Agreed, excellent to see a fellow brewer supporting the brew community.

Bought rhizome from Dr S last year -delivered promptly, packaged well, cheap as chips. Recommended.

I don't think I have room for anymore (tett, chinook, goldings and hallertau plants all in a suburban backyard) but nie to see non-profit-mongering amongst brewer.

Just on the WA subject, Does anyone know of anywhere to source Hop Rhizomes over here?

Interesting on the quarantine - Not sure that there is a very large Hop production industry to protect?

Rupert will no doubt start selling rhizomes from WA in the not too distant future so you will be able to get your hands on these.

Due to the popularity of this i will spend a bit more time tonight digging up and dividing more rhizomes. Plenty more there i just got tired and gave up. :D

Dr - any chance you could take a few snaps of the process for future reference. Interested to see how much these roots like to grow as the wife doesn't want any hop plants taking over the garden.

Dr - any chance you could take a few snaps of the process for future reference. Interested to see how much these roots like to grow as the wife doesn't want any hop plants taking over the garden.

Plant them in a 1/2 wine barrel and there is no problem.

Process?

I grab hold of a shoot that has appeared away from the main rhizome and pull. :lol: Gently. Sometimes i need to loosen the soil as i go but they are pretty hardy and don't mind a bit of the rough stuff. Cut them off when there is no more give.

Some can be as long as 1m with shoots every 10cm or so that i then divide up into 10-20 cm depending on the number of the purple shoots that are there.

If the light isn't too bad when i dig them up tonight i will take a few quick snaps but in all seriousness, the process above IS what i do.

EDIT - to everyone that has PMed me you are all on the list assuming i can find a few extra tonight. I can't PM you all back due to the flood control on this board so don't think i am ignoring you! Once they are all accounted for i will post an announcement and close the buy. I will then send out payment details and get your postal address. Want expecting this kind of response this year - thought the hop market had been flooded. Bugger. Should have charged $50 a zome :p

Plant them in a 1/2 wine barrel and there is no problem.

Excellent tip - was thinking about putting them in their own pot, but a 1/2 wine barrel would suit the house. At the moment each plant is in it's own little plastic wrap sitting around the garden.

POR all gone, still a few chinook left.
Wow that was quick.
I have a poor-POR in a pot in the back yard, I was going to check if it has grown this year before looking for more, next time I wont hesitate. :)

Make sure you put some decent drainage holes in the bottom of the wine barrel and a layer of shade cloth or blue metal to stop soil escaping, Made the mistake one day and roots clogged the drainage holes and waterlogged the pot!

Also keep them off the ground, white ants love that oak!

and wheres the TAS love, ohh well we've probably got enought winter time love here.

At any rate shipping to TAS is not a prob, I'v ebeen buying them in for years. We just need to fill in a notice of intent to import at this end and thats it. As long as the rhizome is washed free of soil thats it.

Smashin :D

out of PoR :huh:

Where's the WA love? :(

All the rhizomes accounted for. If you have sent me a PM already then you are on the list.

A PM with payment details etc will be sent in the next day or 2 (hopefully i can convince Dane to allow me to bulk PM otherwise its going to be a fun few hours of cutting and pasting). Once i receive payment i will post them.

No more PMs please.

EDIT - revised plans on postage.

Latest posts

Back