Foam Coming Out Of Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi,

Well its finally happened, after 21 brews I've just got my first brew that has foam bubbling through the airlock.

The brew is a Coopers Real Ale made with the following ingredients. 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale, 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer #1, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt + supplied yeast. Setdown temp was 23 degrees and the current wort temp is 22 degrees. Its bubbling pretty ferociously, but not that much that its making a mess.

My fermentor is a 30lt container filled to the 23lt mark for this batch, and now I have 7 litres of foam... LOL

Is this something I should be worried about, or do I just let the brew run its course? and keep an eye on the airlock and top up with water if required.

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Cheers
Carboy

Apart from the mess and high-ish fermentation temp, you wont have any issues. Yep top up the airlock once things have settled down with some sanitiser or similar.
Nothing to worry about though. ;)

Just keep an eye on the airlock and top up with some water if needed. I am however surprised you are getting such foaming from a kit yeast but I never made too many kits before moving to AG. Sounds like your having fun :)

+1 Raven gots ya sorted

High Kraussen is an awesome sight. Yeasties going everywhere...

Have you got a photo of the Foaming Fermenter of Death? If so post it up some amusement.

Just keep an eye on the airlock and top up with some water if needed. I am however surprised you are getting such foaming from a kit yeast but I never made too many kits before moving to AG. Sounds like your having fun :)

Yes I was very surprised too. I've had a couple rise a few inches, but not out of the airlock. Not sure if it has something to do with the 500g of Light Dry Malt, because when I added that to the mixed the brew foamed up pretty quickly.

Only been brewing for 3 months, and I'm loving it... :) :) :)
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers
Carboy

Not sure if it has something to do with the 500g of Light Dry Malt, because when I added that to the mixed the brew foamed up pretty quickly.

Carboy

Hey.

Can you elaborate what you mean here? When did you add the malt? I may just of misread your comment or you added it at the wrong time :)

It is always the real ale that does it.....

I have posted the pic of mine making foam mountains many times.

+1 Raven gots ya sorted

High Kraussen is an awesome sight. Yeasties going everywhere...

Have you got a photo of the Foaming Fermenter of Death? If so post it up some amusement.

Photos are per your request.... :)

Airlock_1.jpg

Airlock_2.jpg

Airlock_3.jpg

Hey.

Can you elaborate what you mean here? When did you add the malt? I may just of misread your comment or you added it at the wrong time :)

Hi, I mixed the 1.7kg Real Ale tin first with 3 litres of hot water and mixed, then added the Brew Enhancer #1 and mixed, then added the Light Dry Malt and mixed. I just followed the instructions on the box/can.

Cheers
C

The real ale is prone to over bubbling...

frothy_001.JPG

Cheers Carboy! What an awesome sight. My last 2 ferments have stuck <_< and needed a little kick to start so it's nice to see a decent kraussen again.

nice lid on the fermenter, i would prefer that style for some leverage when they stick

Back