Flow Control Beer Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz,

I've pulled it apart and it does move, but not very far. As it is a cone shape, moving it toward the spout increases the gap and should increase the flow but it doesn't move nearly far enough.

From QldKev's post it is exactly like the one in the post he points to.
I think I will drill a new "cam" hole and give that a go or as the post suggests, throw the cone away and get 4 meters of beer line.

Fitz

Batz,

I've pulled it apart and it does move, but not very far. As it is a cone shape, moving it toward the spout increases the gap and should increase the flow but it doesn't move nearly far enough.

From QldKev's post it is exactly like the one in the post he points to.
I think I will drill a new "cam" hole and give that a go or as the post suggests, throw the cone away and get 4 meters of beer line.

Fitz

Just return it & get a refund!!!

Something comes to mind. Do you have the lever pointing back towards the shank or forward towards you?

I think they are meant to be forward and there might be the source of restriction of the lever...

Well today is another day.

I think it has to go back. Pulled it apart last night and think I know what the problem is. Poor Workmanship.
Full range of the restrictor is approx 1.5mm, at fully open (restrictor), operation of the tap hits the back of the restrictor blocking the holes that pass the beer therefore poor flow and foam produced by it trying to rush around 400 corners.

I'll let you know how I go with the return.

Thanks to all for your help and ideas.

Cheers...

Then get your self one of these

+1

Celli's are probably the best tap, but they are too expensive for my kit.

I have the perlick's from that other thread, and they rock! Smooth and a great pour every time.

QldKev

I'm new to AG brewing and kegging. I have built a keezer an figured that I would use flow control taps to reduce the beer line length. I have found that they reduce the flow rate dramatically while still causing the beer to foam. I expect that this is due to the cone arrangement in my cheap $40 flow control taps, is may not be an issue with more expensive flow control taps such as the Perlick 545PC.

Anyway I thought I would share my experience, I have swapped to Perlick 525SS taps with 2.5m of 5mm flexmaster II beerlines. Anyway this has reduced my foaming problem and increased the flowrate, the only negative is a small amount of coiled beer line which can sit around the top of the keg and is not really an issue.

I also noticed the the cheap chrome plated flow control tap was stained and the chrome was removed in sections within 2 weeks of being used.

So my advice would be to forget about cheap flow control taps and trying to reduce the length of your beer lines, the length of the beer line required for a balanced system can be easily kept within a fridge or freezer and results in a better pour and flowrate. Forget the flow control taps and live with the extra beer line length and use a decent tap.

Latest posts

Back