Flavour Descriptors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I might be a little confused by what people mean by the word "crisp". I see it a lot as a positive flavour attribute of bland beers like TED. To me, "crisp" is a texture rather than a flavour. Eg Ryvita is crisp, bread is doughy. I can't place an attribute in beer that I would describe as "crisp", except perhaps to describe acidity as in wine. If I found a sharp acidity in any of my beers, I would use words like "acid" or "infected" or "dry" if I was feeling generous.

Can someone please explain to a poor learning soul what they mean when they use the word "crisp" in describing a beer. Is it something about low FG and high carbonation? Acid? I can't find it anywhere on the Beer Flavour Wheel.

To me it is a fresh clean tasting quality. That, I assume, is why you see it used so often in describing a pilsner or lager.

A bit like a young riesling wine is crisp, but an aged riesling is not crisp because it has developed a honeyed character.
A chocolate milkshake is not crisp, but a fresh homemade lemonade would be.
Lemon tea might be, but tea with milk is not.

I don't consider myself any sort of an expert, so maybe others will have a better idea.

"Fresh" can mean many things from an ale. "Clean" to me generally means ester-free. So you mean like water? Acid?

I reckon it means low FG.

I would call that "Dry".

Interesting that sweet vs "other" has three continuums. Sweet vs sour, sweet vs dry, sweet vs bitter.

"Crispness" doesn't equate to bitterness, as we already have a word for that (tho I think I have seen someone use "crisp bitterness"). So it either means dry or sour. We already have words for both dry and sour/acid. Is it a mouthfeel thing distinct from dryness? Is it always a "positive" descriptor? Is it a package deal, like "dry and not sour"? I guess my point is, is there really a need to use this word when describing a characteristic of beer at all?

I call a beer crisp when the flavour is gone in a flash and leaves a lingering bitterness. You take a sip, savour it, swallow it, and the flavour is gone, leaving a lingering bitterness. If the bitterness didn't linger, I'd call it clean.

I would call that "Dry".

Interesting that sweet vs "other" has three continuums. Sweet vs sour, sweet vs dry, sweet vs bitter.

"Crispness" doesn't equate to bitterness, as we already have a word for that (tho I think I have seen someone use "crisp bitterness"). So it either means dry or sour. We already have words for both dry and sour/acid. Is it a mouthfeel thing distinct from dryness? Is it always a "positive" descriptor? Is it a package deal, like "dry and not sour"? I guess my point is, is there really a need to use this word when describing a characteristic of beer at all?

I'd agree with "dry". To me, "crisp" implies cold and dry together.

It's an appropriate descriptor for some of the megalagers, but I can't say I'd be all that impressed with any "crisp" craftbrew.

BJCP thinks crispness is a virtue in both Bo and Bav Pilsners.

Strange. I've never needed to fall back on this term. I think it's a little vague. Maybe my palate is just too unsophisticated. I have never tasted a beer and said "Crisp". Maybe I just find the word too... empty?

I might be a little confused by what people mean by the word "crisp". I see it a lot as a positive flavour attribute of bland beers like TED. To me, "crisp" is a texture rather than a flavour. Eg Ryvita is crisp, bread is doughy. I can't place an attribute in beer that I would describe as "crisp", except perhaps to describe acidity as in wine. If I found a sharp acidity in any of my beers, I would use words like "acid" or "infected" or "dry" if I was feeling generous.

Can someone please explain to a poor learning soul what they mean when they use the word "crisp" in describing a beer. Is it something about low FG and high carbonation? Acid? I can't find it anywhere on the Beer Flavour Wheel.

I think you summed it up well yourself. Low FG, high carbonation and a good acidity in a clean beer. With regard to hops I associate it with a bitter but clean (not rough) finish.

I don't have a problem with the term and I use it myself.

Back