Fitting Taps To Freezer Door Of Upright Fridge/freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omalleyt

Reaction score
Hi to all you beer enthusiasts,

I have a question regarding converting an older type fridge to a kegerator, it is an upright fridge freezer with seperate doors approximately 5'5 in height:

Can I mount beer taps to the freezer door, running a short piece of line from the tap fittings through the freezer seal near the hinges and back throught the fridge seal and into the refridgerator section where the kegs are located? Otherwise the taps will be mounted very low if on the fridge section door, and the drip tray will be very close to the floor! This will result in about 15cm of beer line being inside the freezer and 6cm of the line in open air. Obviously the beer in the section of line in the freezer will freeze but will this be a hassle? Will gas pressure clear the lines when frozen, or could I just flush lines with gas after each session leaving them clear? I'm assuming the tap will conduct some heat through the door preventing freezing in 1-2cm at that end and about the same with the line going through the seal. Could the taps be damaged being close to a freezer?
HELP!

Tom:)

From your post I can see a few probs, breaching the seal will give you a cave of ice in the freezer section, also your lines will freeze up as mine do just resting on the element in the fridge.
If you post up some pics of your fridge with a keg in it for comparison someone may have a bit more input.
Also check out the sticky for kegging set ups in the same section you posted this. :icon_cheers:

From your post I can see a few probs, breaching the seal will give you a cave of ice in the freezer section, also your lines will freeze up as mine do just resting on the element in the fridge.
If you post up some pics of your fridge with a keg in it for comparison someone may have a bit more input.
Also check out the sticky for kegging set ups in the same section you posted this. :icon_cheers:

Cheers, I really didn't think it through very much prior to posting. A simpler solution may be to just build a base for the fridge to sit on attaining a more reasonable tap height, or get another fridge. Found some wood at work to build a base from, taps should arrive today, will post a few pics when done..........

Cheers:)

Cheers, I really didn't think it through very much prior to posting. A simpler solution may be to just build a base for the fridge to sit on attaining a more reasonable tap height, or get another fridge. Found some wood at work to build a base from, taps should arrive today, will post a few pics when done..........

Cheers:)

All good mate, If you don't ask you will never know.
How does the set up look?

Back