First timer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anteek

Reaction score
I've never brewed before . Kids are almost grown . Time to start . What is the best kit etc to start with. Should I start with kits you see in kmart or go straight in to learning how to brew with grain. The aim here is for a quality beer not quantity.
Cheers

Yeah the $30 AG method is a winner. But you'll need a fermenter (kit) and Kmart is a good place to get it. Get a kit and you'll be fermenting this arvo. Then when u see how easy it is get the rest from LHBS or net.

Maybe try your LHBS for some sanitiser ($20) and a bunnings fermenter (under $20)... Don't bother with the kit IMO

Hey Anteek

I get what mrTbeer and PeteQ are saying, and having never tried AG beer I can't dispute "if you want quality beer".
You asked the question about AG so I assume you have the resources (money, time and ability) to proceed at a timely rate and produce a good beer first up.

Personally I see the process as a progression, but one that could easily skip the kit and kilo phase. I mean you could go straight to full extract brewing and IMO produce a good quality beer. This will enable you to get familiar with sanitising, mixing, boiling, steeping and fermenting processes (not that they are that difficult to understand or get the hang of).

Having brew K&K, Kits and bits and full extract I can honestly say that each time the quality of the beer has shown a considerable and consistent improvement.

I will admit that after reading through Nick JD's post again that even I could follow the $30 AG process. Good luck Anteek, which ever way you go.

Go straight to grain with BIAB. I did the kit that came with my Coopers starter kit and moved straight to all grain. The difference in the results was definitely noticeable.

I love getting the feedback of "this doesn't have that homebrew taste" when people try my beers. I am sure you could get perfectly good beer from kits but if you are looking at it as a hobby and have a bit of time to potter around then the quality of all grain (in my limited experience) is hard to beat.

Read the BIAB thread PeteQ posted and ask questions if you have any, everyone seems more than happy to offer advice. Welcome and good luck!

I personally would do at least one K&K brew before moving on to BIAB, just to get used to the cleaning, sanitising and temp control first.

BIAB is not hard, but it is time consuming. You don't want to go through all the effort to make an AG brew, only to find it's ruined because you didn't do one of the above mentioned things properly. You'll feel a lot less pissed off dumping a kit brew that took 30 mins to make.

Not saying that your first brew will be a disaster, it probably won't, just that it will be easier to learn the basics with a kit brew, less things to worry about.

kick of with a few kits. This will give a feel for what the beer does. Any Cooper kit is good,just depends on your taste. DON'T USE SUGAR. Buy dried or liquid malt or the brew enhancer packs. The cooper pale ale kit with the right brew enhancer pack will give you something very close to the real thing.
As far as cleaning goes. just buy the cheapest unscented nappy san you can. It is the perfect all round cleaner/sanitizer.
If you can, try to attend a brew day and get an idea of what is involved.

Start at the bottom with a few kits.

If you are allergic to stainless steel and shiny things...........your screwed

Thank you for all the advice . I hear where you are all coming from . I've decide to go with a couple of kit brews to get the hang of the process. And then set myself up for BIAB. Ill let you know how it goes fingers crossed .

Thanks again Anteek

Latest posts

Back