First Time Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruzzac

Reaction score
Hey there brewers!

Thought I'd write a quick post after making a (hopefully successful) foray into the world of home brew. I've been trolling the forums for a little while now and have found a wealth of knowledge that has helped me so far and has given me a few ideas for future brews.

I picked up a starter kit on Sunday at my LHBS in Sydney with a Morgan's Iron Bark Dark Ale (as it should go well with the chilly weather). After an nervous start, it's all in the plastic fermenter and bubbling away nicely. I thought I might have stuffed things a bit when water from the fermenter made its way back into the FV, but I've since learnt to RDWHAHB!

I do have a quick question though.. I measured my OG to be approx 1.058. If it finishes with an FV of 1.010, then it will be a 6.3% beer, which I think might be a bit high! I was given and used an entire 1.5kg can of Coopers Light Malt.. Was this too much?

Anyway, will let you know how it goes!

Bryan

RDWHAHB . It probably won't get that low . What was your recipe ? If the yeast your using attenuates around 75% this may finish on the higher side of 1.010 .

I used the 1.7kg kit can of Morgan's Iron Bark Dark Ale and 1.5kg can of Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extra LDE. I filled to 23L and pitched with the kit yeast.

If it does finish on the higher side of 1.010, will that mean it will just be a sweeter tasting beer?

More body certainly, I dont know what the DA kit is hopped with but as a first beer, just let it ride and continue learning.

1.058 is at the higher end of the gravity scale for a single kit yeast though, the guys at the LHBS should have mentioned this to you.. often replacing the kit yeast and going with another brand is often a good idea, that said, I dont know how big the Morgans sachets are that come with the kit. Coopers for example are 7g (ish) and US05 is 11.5g (Danstar are also in the 11g range.

Can make a big difference.

1058 also sounds like a bloody high SG reading for a 1.7kg kit and 1.5kg tin of extract in 23 litres. I'd expect those fermentables in that volume to be more in the mid 1040s range, which would give a more "standard" strength beer. Either your hydrometer is way off or the extracts weren't mixed properly and you've sampled a part that is a bit thicker than it should be.

Hell all,

Thanks for those tips RE specific gravity. Thinking about it more, it may have been because i took the sample from the spigot and may have measured a more concentrated part of the wort. Next time I'll ensure that I mix it a little more.

So, I waited the 10 days for fermentation and have had the brew bottled now for almost three weeks. After a week of bottle conditioning, the cascade hops I used for dry hopping were a little overpowering. After cracking one tonight, the flavours have mellowed and blended quite well. May have to pour another one or two with the Sunday Stew! :chug:
From what started as a bit of an experiment, I think I have found my new hobby! Hmmm what to brew next?? :D

Cheers,

Bryan

Back