First Pale Ale Using Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdelaideHillsBrewer

Reaction score
Hi fellow Brewers,

Just finished Brewing a nice Pale ale, cant wait to see how she turns out. First time steeping some specialty grains.

Ingredient list

coopers pale ale extract
750g ldme
250g dextrose
200grams of wyermann carapils
200grams weyrmann carahell
Steeped for 30mins ant around 65degc
15g Pride of ringwood hops added at beginning of boil and again just before end of boil. Boil time 45mins
Fermtis yeast us-05 pitched into wort at 22deg, ferment temp will be 20deg.
Batch size is 23l

OG was a little high I thought at 1050, Any thoughts on this?? Could this be due to the Grains?? Anyway just thought I would share my mornings work with you all.

Happy Brewing

Nice work! Have just started getting into speciality grains myself... Looks like a fairly good recipe you've got there.

While being pretty novice myself, looks like the you've got a fair bit of sugars in there, which is probably giving you the high OG.

Would love to hear how it comes along though!

should only be around 1042 for the OG id say it wasnt mixed properly or there was a heap of sugar stuck in the tap that came out first. i would made mine to around 1050 as its around 34IBU so dont want a to thin beer well not with POR anyway it might be a cracker though hard to say yet

Hi Samuel,

Both grain types were steeped before hand for around 30 mins @ 65/70degC and then added to the boiling wort eg the light malt and the dextrose and the first hop addition.

Fermentation seems to be going well still bubbling on the fourth day, looking like it will slow down now. First try with the new Tempmate and fridge setup, Its been hot in Adelaide the last few days but my fermenter is sitting at a constant 20deg.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem of there fermentation slowing down after a couple of days of activity. I gave the fermenter a good shake up or if you like Whirlpool, and that started it fermenting again.

ignore the airlock as your lid or seals could leak slightly and it will only bubble when fermentations at its biggest sometimes they wont bubble at all so dont worry about that. Also only stir or open the fermenter if you really think it needs it as you can introduce infection and oxidisation if you have to make sure everythings sanitized to hell. fermentation will slow down after about 4 days it will keep fermenting but the yeast slow down and start to clean up after them selfs so its good practice to try leave it in fermenter for 10 days even if it only takes 5-7 days to ferment as the yeast will clean up some flavours you might not want in your beer.

Back