First Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has it only been fermenting for seven days? And did you aerate the wort? 10 deg should be fine.. I would just wait.. Unless the smack pack was out of date in which case you probably should have either done a starter or smacked the pack and let it swell.

Yep, only been there for seven day and aerated by shaking the FV.
The pack was smacked at the brew shop and put in the fridge when I got home. It didn't swell very much, but I think it had a very small hole in it which would have stopped that. I pitched a day later.

Im thinking that he fridge temp may of been lower than the average of 4c, meaning the yeast temp had a variant >5c from the 10c wort pitch temp thus heavily effecting the amount of vialble yeast to start fermentation. Plus without adequate areation then pure O2 added the yeast may be really struggling to reproduce.

You said you had a 1064 - thats a very high OG for a lager - thats ok it will be an imperial lager :)

Have you taken another actual sample for the hyrdometer or refractomer and it still reads 1.064? has this been done at room temp?

That was my concern. So if it wasn't aerated enough do think this batch won't ever ferment. Can lagers be done with out O2?

I was going off a recipe that I altered to do a smaller batch, but hit the expected OG. The only thing I missed was I was hoping for closer to the 10l mark.

I've taken a few samples and checked with a hydrometer. I just let it sit in the sample until it reaches room temp. Last sample was taken yesterday.

Hey Guys!
Any word about serving in the keg that you lagered in/carbing while lagering?
I have two batches of chappos lager fermenting at 19c with s-189 like how Ross does it and it's almost hit the 10 day mark. I'm looking to open up some fermenter space so I was planning on racking the batches to cornys and bringing them down to 1c for 10 days. I have a few questions:

Is it ok to carb while lagering?
Will I have any trouble with settled yeast or is it just a case of dumping the first beer?
if I was looking to use finings would that help?

Thanks again. This is my first attempt into the wild world of lager and I'd love for it to work out first try :D

Canuck

Back