First Extract: Czech Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightLager

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a request for comments on the Pils recipe below.

I am looking to do my first extract. After brewing 6 kits, I have been thinking about my brewing experiences and why I brew... (this is typical, I must pontificate) and have decided that maybe I should attempt my own.

My previous two brews have been successful, and thanks to inmates on this site, I am getting more confident with the process.

So with the aid of Beersmith, here is my plan, a basic Czech Pils.

Boil 5 L of Water

30 min 1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract
30 min 1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
30 min 0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
30 min 40.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 30.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops

Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 23.00 L

Urquell Lager (Wyeast Labs #2001)

Original Gravity Estimate: 1.044 SG
Final Gravity Estimate: 1.011 SG
IBU: 29.1
Estimate ABV: 4.2%
Brew at 12C
Lager at ambient (~27C in Brisbane)

Is there anything more I should add?

Will there be enough aroma with a 5min boil and will it be bitter enough (with the style)?

Cheers,

LL

Just use 3kg light liquid malt.

Ditch the dextrose - real Pils is an all-malt brew. This done, why stuff around with dried malt - 2 x 1.5kg liquid malts will do fine, is simpler, and probably cheaper.

With 3kg liquid malt you should end up with 1.046 OG. (I do...)

Hops and bitterness looks about right.

Why not do a full 60 minute boil - I think you'll get a bit more bitterness out of the bittering hops - maybe just get it over 30.

Finally, why not steep a little Pilsener grain, just to get the "fresh flavor" out of it. (Won't add anything to OG as you'd need to mash, but maybe 150-250g steeped and strained into the boil will help the taste a bit.)

Just use 3kg light liquid malt.

This does seem easier... two tins...

Ditch the dextrose - real Pils is an all-malt brew. This done, why stuff around with dried malt - 2 x 1.5kg liquid malts will do fine, is simpler, and probably cheaper.

I added the dextrose to raise the alcohol level up. 4% ABV is still ok. Ditched...

Why not do a full 60 minute boil - I think you'll get a bit more bitterness out of the bittering hops - maybe just get it over 30.

What about a boil like:
45 min 40.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 30.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops

This brings the IBU to 35, right in the middle of the range in Beersmith...

Finally, why not steep a little Pilsener grain, just to get the "fresh flavor" out of it. (Won't add anything to OG as you'd need to mash, but maybe 150-250g steeped and strained into the boil will help the taste a bit.)

This is a great idea.... Will do. 250g steeped for the 45 minute boil.

Alternately, there is one here that started life as an AG, got translated to an extract for this thread, then ended up getting re-configured as a partial mash. :lol:

Bear in mind that 3kg lme in 23L isn't 1046...its 1040. 3kg lme is 1046 in 20L. ;)

Bear in mind that 3kg lme in 23L isn't 1046...its 1040. 3kg lme is 1046 in 20L. ;)

My last few brews have used 3kg liquid malt and all come out exactly 1046 in 22L...
BUT - early last year I got 1040 from the same - filled to maybe 22.5L...???
I was adding 500g dried malt to get up to 1046-1048...stopped doing it and now hit 1046 on the dot every time. Weird. Maybe I just got better at pouring all the malt out of the tin?

But yeah, I'd suggest only go to 22L max. Maybe top up to 20, check OG, then add a little more water if its high. Just till you get a feel for how "strong" your particular malt extract is.

And good luck on your first extract brew. Ignore those AG naysayers - its a great way to make beer, you have almost total control over the recipe and don't have to worry about whether the "magic can" is going to taste like you want.

Note that if you are boiling only 5L you won't want to add all the extract at the start as you'll just darken it and get very low hop utilisation. So just boil the grain steepings and maybe 300g of LDME in your 5L, with the hop additions as per your plan. The 2 x 1.5kg tins of liquid extract can go straight into the fermenter (don't need to be boiled at all).

3kg LLME plus 300g LDME should get you around 1.045 in 23L. But check your bitterness calculation again on this basis.

Thanks for the help...

Combining the ideas above...

2 x 1.5kg lme in fermenter (2L as usual to disolve the goo)

Steep 250g carapils 1L of water (20 mins)

Boil 4L of boiling water
Add steepings and 300g LDME (now 5L of water)
45 min 40.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] Hops
5 min 30.00 gm Saaz [7.50 %] Hops

Add water (as needed ~15L) to achieve volume of 20 L
Mesure and top up again as need to achieve SG of 1044-1048 OG (great idea, not tried this before)

Urquell Lager Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2001)

Brew at 12C for 4 weeks

Lager at ambient (~27C in Brisbane)

I did something very similar when I first started extract brewing.

The liquid malt is not quite light enough, but still makes a good beer.

I found the Urquell yeast to be bit slow, even stalling when brewed at 10C. However the flavour profile was good, with a full Saaz routine it produces a similar taste to the real deal.

Definitely no dex for this beer, the carapils will help body and head.

As for the lagering, 27C is too high. You might as well keep it in primary for longer. It needs to be cold conditioned at 1-2C. This helps the yeast drop out.

Are you sure of your alpha for the hops? Just noticed you have it as 7.5% saaz...Not czech saaz at that alpha, surely?

I did something very similar when I first started extract brewing.

The liquid malt is not quite light enough, but still makes a good beer.

I found the Urquell yeast to be bit slow, even stalling when brewed at 10C. However the flavour profile was good, with a full Saaz routine it produces a similar taste to the real deal.

Definitely no dex for this beer, the carapils will help body and head.

As for the lagering, 27C is too high. You might as well keep it in primary for longer. It needs to be cold conditioned at 1-2C. This helps the yeast drop out.

Hi Max,

I agree that 27C is way too high, but I don't have a "drinks" fridge. Sometimes you have to go with what you have got (or not got)...

I find it interesting that you comment that your first extract was a Pils. I was thinking that this type of beer will show any mistakes because it is so light. I was wondering if I should start with something a bit more robust, like a porter....

Cheers,

LL

Are you sure of your alpha for the hops? Just noticed you have it as 7.5% saaz...Not czech saaz at that alpha, surely?

Hi Butters,

I agree that the saaz is not 4.5% but the 7.5% is what I can source from the LHBS. I adjusted this in Beersmith, working with the available product. Happy to hear your thoughts....

Cheers,

LL

Hi Butters,

I agree that the saaz is not 4.5% but the 7.5% is what I can source from the LHBS. I adjusted this in Beersmith, working with the available product. Happy to hear your thoughts....

Cheers,

LL
No, thats cool, as long as you're calculating it from the actual alpha. I just thought it might have been a mistake, is all.

Hi Max,

I agree that 27C is way too high, but I don't have a "drinks" fridge. Sometimes you have to go with what you have got (or not got)...

I find it interesting that you comment that your first extract was a Pils. I was thinking that this type of beer will show any mistakes because it is so light. I was wondering if I should start with something a bit more robust, like a porter....

Cheers,

LL

I have always brewed the types of beer I enjoy drinking and at that time stouts and porters were not my thing. Having said that I knew nothing of American beer styles and once I discovered US hops and all grain, all I was brewing was APA's and CAP's.

Brew whatever you like, if you make a mistake, treat it as a learning experience.

Add 3 Table spoons of brown vinegar, this will steady out your FG and result in a much smoother beer for the pallett.

7.5% AA? D Saaz? Motueka (sic?)
Apparently, it's very nice, not Czech Saaz, but what is? Certainly not the Czech Saaz of recent years.
I'll hope for some feedback re the D Saaz the from Hunter Brewers Unit (HBU, just made that up; I meant HAG boyz and not-boys), who have taken it (D-Saaz) to heart.

Les

BTW, LME is only a little dark for an Urquell. However, it has been said that you will only buy disappointment if you are hoping for a true Pilsener. You will however, learn to progress rapidly to AG, seeking the "total Czech replica" experience.

It was one of the temptations that led me to becoming a grain brewer. However, all steps/ beers on the way can be educational and satisfying.

Back