First Extract Brew - Thoughts please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

major_mitt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while so this is my first post. Thanks for having me.

I want to do a full extract brew when the current brew is done in the fermenter and I am lookin for thoughts on my recipe/method

Ingredients:

1 x can Black Rock Amber LME
0.8kg Light DME
0.3kg Carapils
0.3kg Medium Crystal
60g Cascade
30g Chinook

Yeast:
US-05

So I want to steep and sparge my grains, remove the grains and add water to make 6L. Bring that up to the boil then hop schedule as follows:

30g Cascade (NZ Grown 7.3%AA) @ 30min
30g Chinook (12.5%AA) @ 15min
30g Cascade (as above) @ 5min

Add that to the fermenter along with the DME and LME. Fill the fermenter up to 23L and get temperature to roughly 18degrees and pitch the rehydrated US-05.

This gives a calculated IBU of 30, an EBC of 26 and a alcohol volume of 4.4%. The goal is a easy drinking ale that will keep the mates happy. No overly strong hop flavours and not too high ABV to keep things safe.

Cheers for the input

Well,

The flat just sampled the first bottle of this tonight. It's pretty bloody good. If someone had told me you could make 23l of something like this for far less than store bought beer and this easily I wouldn't have believed it. The flaties definitely weren't expecting it to be so good.

This was only my second brew and compared to the first attempt (mangrove jacks brown ale) kit and kilo it is a quantum leap. The kit beer had a very cidery/winey taste and smell to it. The APA has a beautiful cascade aroma and a very smooth taste.

I'm so happy with how this came out. So much so it has delayed my contemplation for purchasing All Grain gear. I would happily recommend this recipe especially the Chinook Cascade combo

Nice one.
Have made and drunk my first extract and moving to AG shortly.
Looks great though.

Have to agree, its a quantum leap from kits.

What was your final gravity?

major_mitt said:
1.012. Came out more or less to spec
Black Rock liquid malt and the dry malt you used must be more fermentable than the coopers that I use.
If you had of done that recipe using coopers malts it would have ended up about 1.015, especially with that much specialty grain.
Generally I sub out 250 - 500g of malt for dex to bring the fg down to 1.010-1.012. Otherwise it tastes too sweet for 30 ibu.

Latest posts

Back