First Ever Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieman

Reaction score
Tipped out my first batch ever today.
If i was after a banana flavored beer, i woulda been impressed.
I had read about it many times, but never experienced it.

Parameters were:-
Simple quaffer
Coopers Pale Ale
Brew Enh 2

Couldn't get it cold enough (missus used most of my ice)
Pitched hot at 26 deg
Couldn't keep it cool.
40+ deg week
Ferm temp 26+
Airlock activity stopped after 3 days.

I now have a fermenting fridge

Jamie

Not really an infection just banana esters from fermenting too hot. Assuming the kit yeast was used I'd question your sticker thermometer. Yeah, 26 is hot but not hot enough to ruin a batch completely with Barney Bananas. I'm guessing you were actually punching a bit hotter than this.

Had to pour a batch down the drain for the first time last month too. Not a good feeling.

Tasted great going from 1ry into 2ry. Moved to the fridge to cold condition it for a while, and when I brought it out to bottle, it had a horrible medicinal / elastoplast twang to it. Nasty :icon_vomit:

Not really an infection just banana esters from fermenting too hot. Assuming the kit yeast was used I'd question your sticker thermometer. Yeah, 26 is hot but not hot enough to ruin a batch completely with Barney Bananas. I'm guessing you were actually punching a bit hotter than this.

Yeah i think your right.
I have been slack with my info recording.
Been just jotting basics down on a bit of paper to put with the batch.
I do remember that week being exceptionally hot.
It may have gotten hotter than this during the week.

I should qualify my post above - I'm talking specifically about Coopers' standard ale kit yeast. I reckon it is hardy enough to not be as awful as some other yeasts at high temp. I should point out that there are plenty of yeasts that will throw bananas at temps lower than that.

Fruity, banana flavour, Hmmm, maybe not so bad?

Yep, I've just had my first ever infection too. I brewed the Mongoose Bown Ale in AG, it was fine in the 1ry, and so I raked to 2ry and dry hopped. At bottling time (about 5 day later) there was a white fuz on the top of the beer. I bottled anyway just to see how it'd go. It carbed up alright, and at first even tasted kinda ok, but I was deluding myself. The bottles also developed a whte ring. For sure it had some twang that I couldn't describe.

Now I'm down on dry hopping. I used the same procedure of santizing as always, but guess I got slack. Next batch I'll be double thorough on the clean/sanitize.

Latest posts

Back