First Double Batch - Planning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
G'day all,

been brewing BIAB A/G single batches to date. Probably done 8 over the past year with decent results.

I keep wussing out with regards to brewing a double batch for some reason I just think it will be much more difficult.

I have enough Kettle capacity (80L)
Enough heating power (3 ring + 2400W Immersion heater)
Enough cubes
Enough fermenters
Enough fermenting fridge space

So the double is doable.

My question is what do i need to watch out for vs doing a single batch.
I am confident with a single batch process.

Is it just the logistical side of things to consider?
I have read that i could achieve better efficiency too going double
Also time efficiency will be 80% or so improved.

What have other brewers experienced with attempting Double Batch BIAB for the first time.

Cheers,
D80

Doubles are no harder than doing a single at all.

If you're using brewing software, (beersmith, brewmate, beertoolspro etc...) it will calculate your new volumes, temps, and other targets automatically, so there's nothing to worry about from that point of view.

The one thing i initially fogot to change though when i started doubles many years ago, was to change my boil off rate or volume from a single to a double.

For a single, a typical boil off is 15%, but for a double it's 8%. This affects your targets, particularly volume and gravity obviously.

Other than that, jump in mate, it's a no brainer.

The only time i brew singles, is if i'm doing a recipe i've never brewed before so i don't get left with two kegs of something i don't like.

The only other bit of advice i'd offer, is start doing doubles with a tried and tested recipe of yours, that you know well, and you know what to expect.

you could probably even tickle a triple batch out of that setup

biggest thing i noticed when upsizing was the wait between mash steps and the wait getting it to the boil, so now i run the HX on full bore and the spiral burner as high as i'm comfortable with and it gets things moving along pretty snappy

Back