First Brew, Freaking Out!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul, you can't really go wrong with bottling, as long as you've washed and sanitised your bottles. Capping is pretty straight forward, if you're using one of the bench top cappers the only thing you have to set is the height of the capper, as long as it crimps the cap on she'll be all good.

Not sure if this is what others do, but after I sanitise the caps, I rinse (I'm still yet to move to a no rinse sanitiser) and leave them in hot water, it makes the rubber a bit softer and should create a better seal. Again, not sure if it actually does anything, but it sounds good to me :)

I use sugar instead of carbonation drops, I used them for my first brew, but the carbonation turned out a bit variable because the drops were different sizes (due to breaking up in transport I suppose). But it was still a good brew.

If it tastes good now and especially when it's warm, it's going to taste great once it's got a few weeks on it in the bottle and it's cold!!

Thanks Fuzzy.

Oh one last question, Can I use my bench top capper on threaded bottles ? I have half a dozen 750ml bottles I saved from last week which are twist tops. Is there any difference to crimping on a normal flip top bottle and a twist top ?

A part from that last question I think I am good to go.

Thanks Fuzzy.

Oh one last question, Can I use my bench top capper on threaded bottles ? I have half a dozen 750ml bottles I saved from last week which are twist tops. Is there any difference to crimping on a normal flip top bottle and a twist top ?

A part from that last question I think I am good to go.

you wont have any problems doing that ive been using them bottles for 10 years

Cheers: HBK

I don't think the twist top are as good as the flip top bottles. I think I read somewhere that the seal may not be as good (stands to reason I suppose). But I found a stash of them under the missus' house and used them when I was low on bottles and I didn't have any problems with sealing etc.

I just capped them the same as the flip tops.

*edit: Beaten by HBK :)

As all of us have learnt over the years...you can pretty much do anything and not have a drama...still beer none the less :D

I haven't even bothered getting into glass bottles yet, still using PET bottles (all shapes and sizes) and I think after I save for a bit I will be straight into kegging :D

As all of us have learnt over the years...you can pretty much do anything and not have a drama...still beer none the less :D

I haven't even bothered getting into glass bottles yet, still using PET bottles (all shapes and sizes) and I think after I save for a bit I will be straight into kegging :D

I have heard of a few people who brew into recycled plastic 1.25 and 2l bottles. Is there any difference in taste at all ? Or is it exactly the same as brewing into glass ?

I have heard of a few people who brew into recycled plastic 1.25 and 2l bottles. Is there any difference in taste at all ? Or is it exactly the same as brewing into glass ?

I haven't noticed an off taste at all and my latest batch is in a mix of 390mL, 500mL, 740mL, 1.25L & 2L bottles since I already had beer in my normal 740mL bottles.

I think its more forgiving for beginners since they can expand slightly if you are early bottling (will still explode if way too early) and I notice its good to see if they are carbing well since the bottles go nice and hard :D

Thanks for everything Everyone :)

I waited the 3 weeks
Just finished bottling
Beer was crystal clear which was very surprising.

Washing, sanitizing and filling my bottles and capping them was a bigger job than I expected. Once I get my tree and sanitizing attachment this should be a lot easier.

I could not have done it without you guys. Thanks.

DSC00668.jpg

Doesn't it make you proud to stand back and look at all those bottles, thinking ''I made this myself''?

Just one more hint, it's what I do. Use a permanent marker on the bottle cap to mark it with your batch number. If you don't, you'll forget what the beers are, once you are into future batches.

Doesn't it make you proud to stand back and look at all those bottles, thinking ''I made this myself''?

Just one more hint, it's what I do. Use a permanent marker on the bottle cap to mark it with your batch number. If you don't, you'll forget what the beers are, once you are into future batches.

Excuse my french but I am PROUD AS ****! :)

Thanks Warra48 I will definitely do this.

haha good on you mate! keep us updated (especially me your fellow newbie) about when you're doing stuff, as well as taste differences etc!

well done :)

i've now had my batch 1 in the main fermenter for close to 6 days - how long was yours in primary fermentation for? 2 or 3 weeks? and then once you bottled them, are you keeping them at the same room temp for 10 days before putting them somewhere cooler? (that's what i read to do...hopefully that's right) haha

Back