First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad_UWA

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm finally stepping up to AG :) I've been planning and rounding up equipment for ages, and late this week my new Robinox 50L Aluminium stock pot will be arriving to complete my kit :) I'm doing BIAB, mainly because I'm a bit poor (uni student :p), but also because it looks like a great starting point. I want to buy the grain for my first 2 recipes in one lot, the idea is to save money. Will is actually save me any money if I buy it from CraftBrewer online? It's just I live in WA and was hoping by doing this I might save on postage.

For my first recipe I was planning to do "Skunk Fart XLCR" by jayse, since it seems simple enough, and I've read some good reviews. Doing this as a BIAB is there anything I need to be aware of?

I was planning a something along the lines of this for my second brew, since I love a good, clean pilsner. In the recipe it mentions a protein rest, I've looked it up but still don't really get what that is. Could someone explain please?

Also, is it worth adding Whirlfloc tablets?

Anyway, apart from that I'm just looking for comments and hints, ie. are these ok recipes for a first brew? Is there anything I might need to be aware of?

I'm getting amped for the weekend :D

Thanks,
Chad

Good Luck with it.

I did my first BIAB about three weeks ago and after I was left thinking that was quite simple.
Dont stress on the day and really enjoy it, after all you only pop your cherry once.

I didnt even have a beer whilst doing it I was worried about missing something but just relax sit back and have a couple of beers.

Cheers
Reg

Hey mate,

Welcome to the world of AG and BIAB!
The best option for your grain is to check out local HBS's, internet based ones and compare prices.
I found out that to order mine (even only single batch worth) from Ross at Craftbrewer via courier actually ended being about $12 cheaper than driving a few km's to a HBS! Service is also second to none.

Ref whirlfloc tabs, I have used them in both my BIAB's so far and would recommend them, I havn't seen the results without but I did see the clumped up break and hop materials in the bottom of the kettle after draining - enough to make me think I'm doing that right!

Pretty much any recipe should be good as a first try - I did my own bastardised version of a LCPA. Just follow the guide, take your measurements (measure your kettle first - I blew this one off first time around and regretted it!) and it should be all good!

Remember this is your first AG (regardless of BIAB or not) and so dont be unreasonable with your final efficiency !

A protein rest helps to break down excessive long protein molecules that can cause haze in your beer. It also enables better access to and conversion of starch in malts that are not completely modified by the maltster.

With most modern malts, you wont really need a protein rest. In the case of your first AG - definitely give it a miss. Worry about it after you have a few brews under your belt and have done a bit more reading on the whys and wherefores of mashing.

Whirlfloc are also about getting rid of excess protiens, shove em in, they dot the job and dont hurt anything. Just use half a tablet per 20ish litre batch.

Any recipe you want will translate to BiaB without needing significant changing. The one you link to though ... its efficiency is set at 80% and you wont get that. More likely 70% so you will need to adjust the amount of grain proportionally to get the same gravities.

Good luck with your brews

Thirsty

Chekc out Gryphon, he's in BAyswater, and a site sponsor

What does UWA stand for?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll forget the protein rest and put 1/2 a Whirlfloc in.

I'm glad you mentioned that ThirstyBoy, I forgot to remember the lower effeciency.

Sinkas, I have been referred to Gryphon by a couple of people so I might check them out.

UWA stands for University of Western Australia, it's where I'm studying at the moment.

Thanks again guys,
Chad

Woah ! Easy there Sinkas.

Who cares what anyone's name is ? If adding UWA to his handle works for him, who gives a toss ?!

You might want to change that, makes you sound like a total tool.

That's a lovely way to welcome someone to the AHB... It's amazing what can come out when hidden behind a keyboard!

OK I have removed it, it is none of my business

Hey Chad,

The SF XLCR is a great place to start with your first AG - nice and simple and a good tasting beer.

As far as the protein rest is concerned, I'd skip it for your second AG - it's just going to add a complexity that you don't need when you're getting to grips with the process.

As mentioned, try Neville at Gryphon in Bassendean. He has a good range, good prices, and if you organise beforehand you can probably pick the stuff up (saving on postage costs). Another option is Neil at International Homebrew Supplies (in Bayswater). He has fairly good AG stock, and is generally happy to help out. They've moved to 21 John St, Bayswater. They also have an old Corona grain mill there if you want to grind you're grain on premises.

And add the whirfloc if you want. I generally do, but don't know that it does too much. Doesn't hurt it at least.

Right, my grain order is in (Gryphon), I'm all set. Thanks for all your help guys.

Chad

Right, my grain order is in (Gryphon), I'm all set. Thanks for all your help guys.

Chad

Hi Chad,

Neville is a font of wisdom when it comes to brewing don't hesitate to get some tips/ideas.

cheers

Patrick.

Latest posts

Back