First Biab Pics.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your side lagging is great however I would recommend that you try to lag the top more. Heat rises and the pot lid has holes in it (right?) Even if you put that cushion on top and then throw a heavy beach towel over the top or something like that.

Mark,

Yes urn has holes in the lid circumference. Cushion on top was not ideal. It really needs and sleeve to go over the lid and external insulation. Next job for wifey!

Thanks for your input.

Shifter, I use (and I brew a bucketload of APA and the occasional EPA/ESB/Bitter) and I use Perle Malt (Bairds or TF Floor malted) as my base for it all. It's cheaper than most other ale malts, and works a treat with a slight nuttiness to it and good for single infusion mashing.

Goomba

Plenty of great advice in this thread.

The only thing I would add is to the comment on insulation at the top of your mash. If you have a couple of cms free between the grain and your lid it really helps to cut a piece of styrofoam to size, cover in foil reflective side out, place it on top of the grain, then put the lid on. I barely loose 1 degree since I started doing this.

Plenty of great advice in this thread.

The only thing I would add is to the comment on insulation at the top of your mash. If you have a couple of cms free between the grain and your lid it really helps to cut a piece of styrofoam to size, cover in foil reflective side out, place it on top of the grain, then put the lid on. I barely loose 1 degree since I started doing this.

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack, but;

Awesome idea B4U, I've got a large block of EPS (styrofoam) that I plan to carve up into 2 concave pieces of lagging for my urn with a top cap, but never considered removing the lid of the urn and using the EPS as a lid/deadspace eliminator as well.

Cheers!

B4U,

Thanks for another excellent idea. Great food for thought.

hey shifter, i quickly moved away from the idea of pulleys mainly due to the fact that 1 slip on a freely running pulley system and you would have a splashdown like one of them space things hitting the ocean

sure, you can add jam cleats and ratcheting blocks but how much does one spend on pulling?

for the cost of a few nudie magazines i got myself a big chrome snap hook up top, a big stainless ring for the bag and some 6mm rope for the hanging (like michael hutchence - or was that a belt?). all that is required is to form as many loops as required to lift the bag without shitting ones-self

the beauty of this is that more loops means more resistance. to lift a quad batch i used about 6 loops and once she was draining i didn't need to tie it off, but i did coz i'm a pussy

Big day today - fermenting finished and in to the keg. Certainly smelled the part and even a little taste was pretty good. No to mature! perhaps a day should do it - lol. NO! I'll leave it a couple of weeks then chill and try it. Hopefully it will be OK.

Well done Shifter!!.. mines still in the cube but am hoping to get it in to the FV today sometime. No doubt you'll let me know how it ends up.

On another note, if you want some more grain give me a call as I have enough here for a few batches until you get onto the next BB and can return it then as I'll still need it myself. B)

Drinking really well, such a huge difference in flavour, body and condition compared to extract. Not to say there is anything wrong with extract brewing, I still do it when time is short.

Okay I have done a Timy Talorish, using Ianh's spread sheet, came out almost "cock" on. In the cube chilling naturally.

Gotta love brewing, and especially drinking!!!

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff299/Snikrep777/Brewery/

Good work mate. I see a couple of new additions to your collection.... i.e. cleat and Mill B)

Yep, got the mil from Amazon, it's rough cast but it does the job. Hopefully this Timy Taylorish will be OK. Looks good so far. Going in to the fermenter today.

Back