First Ag Round The Corner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shit no :lol: I was missing 8 liters last time!! lol.. I put most of that down to not having my data for losses or being able to transfer (X) with precision.. er.. I fixed all that, got my numbers pretty much spot on except for the gravity <_<

last time i cocked it up I knew where to go looking for what was missing and have that bit sorted.. well I thought I did... anything wrong with the numbers in the brewmate thingamys you can see?

:icon_cheers:

are you doing an iodine test before mashout yob?

My saison brew was meant to come in at 1064, but I realised later the online software had 75% eff dialed in. Got 1053 and also got the volume right. However, the iodine test confirmed that I had full conversion, so I can pinpoint 1 of two problems - malt getting old (still pretty crisp tho... dunno) or process not totally up to scratch - sparge etc... or maybe the online recipe maker is buggered up, I used 5.4 Kg malt + 1/2 kilo sugar. Anyway, one less maybe by checking starch conversion, I'll find out next brew if the malt is the problem by doing a tried and tested recipe.

naa no iodine testing.. my focus was mainly on getting my volumes and temps right... something there to look into I guess,

Cheers

My first AG brew day went fine but my second was spilt wort every where. I ended up adding 600g of LDM to fix the points that I lost, it turned out delicious.

Your new beer will kick your old beers ass.

with any luck the sample I took wasnt accurate... will know when I throw it into the FV next weekend I guess ;)

on an :icon_offtopic: I got this Mo Fo sorted today and Im quite chuffed about that too :ph34r:

1.JPG

(first AG on top)

shit no :lol: I was missing 8 liters last time!! lol.. I put most of that down to not having my data for losses or being able to transfer (X) with precision.. er.. I fixed all that, got my numbers pretty much spot on except for the gravity <_<

last time i cocked it up I knew where to go looking for what was missing and have that bit sorted.. well I thought I did... anything wrong with the numbers in the brewmate thingamys you can see?

Brewmate figures look okay, but who am I to argue with a computer! Did you recalculate for the extra 1.5 lts you mentioned in post 19?

er...nope, but wouldnt think a pissy liter and a half is gunna hide 14 points, SG preboil and post boil is only 3 points and the 1.5 top up changed nothing gravity wise in brewmate???

Areas to look at:
1. Grain source - my efficiency improved after changing grain brand (Powells to others)
2. Grain crush
3. Mash tun - esky to Beerbelly SS
4. Mash out to No Mash out
5. Water chemistry

I always compensated for Powells Malts from early on, but still had problems hitting gravity targets. Mostly crushed my own grains. The biggest efficiency increase came with the change of mash tun (and improvement in water chemistry).

I began with working on a Mash efficiency of 55% and work on improving from there. At least with that target I would get a minimum requirements, and could adjust from there.

my 2c

are you doing BIAB?? I got piss poor eff with BIAB not sure if it was me or what. I was at about 65% at best, moved to 3v single with batch sparge I got it upto 70% then moved to double with fly sparge and getting over 75% now I tried a fly sparge with my single MT but got to much channeling and dont seem to get it with the double batch. I still have a bit to improve on but thats just mainly single infusion I try to do a mash out now not sure if it helps. Would love to get a herms built so I can recirculate and hopefully get a bit more out, I doubt I will rely on the HEX to ramp temps I think I will still do a infusion but the HEX will help it get that last little bit (my thoughts anyway).

I found that looking for efficiency loss is a very hard thing, I am still dealing with boil off, MT loss, kettle loss lol I think they are more important to begin with once they are right then aim for your efficiency, Also different people and software calculate efficiency from different places so thats a whole other story lol

will add my 2c worth and thats about all its worth, my fellow brewer was always not on the numbers and after taking my hydrometer over to his place found that his was always reading about 4-6 points out from mine, so put both into water and mine was on the money at 1.000 but his was reading 1.006 so there was a problem sorted, also check that you are reading the wort at the correct temp too. Might be telling you to suck eggs but thats just two things that ended up with a 10 to 12 point diffence between what i measured and what he did.

didnt want to start a new one so here we go with my 4 AG Brew. HLT is heating as I type so I have a little while to tweak.

Re Previous errors. My last one was only 4 points off and Im pretty sure I know where they are hiding.. All my volumes were pretty much spot on so im getting alot closer with everything and am pretty happy with the tweaks Ive done thus far.

Here she is.
1.JPG
2.JPG
Yob

Ha!! Hit every target exactly!!! :icon_chickcheers:

bloody smelled amazing too.. helps having a sense of smell too, after nearly 2 weeks off the ciggies I think I now have 2 taste buds and am loving the brewing aromas much more B)

... 'rubs hands together with insane laughter'... mooouuu_haaaa_haaaa_aaaaa

Awesome work fella! Glad it's all working out - I just knocked out another one today - my 4th since the major re-calibration (thus I thought I'd comment due to the parallel) and the day went smoothly also - look forward to getting in on another swap with you some time!

LF.

bloody smelled amazing too.. helps having a sense of smell too, after nearly 2 weeks off the ciggies I think I now have 2 taste buds and am loving the brewing aromas much more B)

Mate, that really is good hitting all targets on 4th go. I have hundreds of AG's experience on a few diff systems over time. Every now and then I come up a couple of litres short or over. Short used to piss me off more than over, but now, RDWHAHB. Could be the reason I miss a target by a bit now & then....
Anyway - congrats on getting your system down-pat.

Good on ya - first for giving up the ciggies, 2nd for AG and hitting everything.

When your sense of smell really returns - mate, you'll really pick up the difference between so many hops.

My missus whacked a loaf of bread into my freezer and said "it smells like hops in here"

Goomba

This is a great Thread, good on ya Yob for nailing it.

Ive got my bag and a keg, still need the rest of the gear which will come in the new year.

I buy small bits and pieces so the mrs doesnt suspect anything, then BAMM.......BIAB

That steel rim and adjustable stand is a top idea also, might steal that!

Cheers Steve

probably a good idea you got a keg mate otherwise she may be wondering why you are all of a sudden drinking cartons of Coopers and keeping the bottles somewhere where they will no doubt be in her way!

Back