finings...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the local supermarket was getting rid of their stock of Finings and were selling sachets for 10c each - So I grabbed some!

I normally secondary ferment in the fridge, so I never bothered with the stuff, but I will try some finings to see what impact it has on the clarity of my pale ales, and pilseners etc...

Has anyone noticed any head retention or carbonation problems when they add finings to their secondary? If the finings helps drop the yeast and proteins out of suspension, would that work against bulk conditioning of the beer to improve flavour complexity etc? :huh:

Cheers,
TL

I have used finings once and I found it made no difference what so ever.

Racking into secondary helped a lot better then finings did for me...

well at my hbs finings are 25c so its cheap as and thay make no difference so i cant see y not use them but then again i make giger beer so its better with finings because it kill the hard ginger tast so it tasts like store bort stuff but i think ginger beer is a lot different

the local supermarket was getting rid of their stock of Finings and were selling sachets for 10c each - So I grabbed some!
Boy, this gives me deja-vu all over again...same thing happened to me a couple of months back at Coles in Balaclava.

We used them in a batch of old & of pilsener. They worked like a charm, the pilsener (which was also racked for bulk priming before bottling) came up beautifully clear though the old (which came up a deep rich black) had some other issues to contend with.Both were clearer than racking alone would have got them.
As sosman says earlier, you can get a bit of gummy stuff in your bottle leavings.

10c and a bit of extra fiddling about? No big deal either way IMHO. We have a few packs knocking about, haven't felt the need to use them every time.

This I don't quite get though:
its cheap as and thay make no difference so i cant see y not use them
If you think they make no difference why bother?

Backlane Brewery said:
>>As sosman says earlier, you can get a bit of gummy stuff in your bottle leavings.<<
Yep,
Which is why I only want to have a go at using the finings when I rack the beer to secondary - I don't mind a bit of yeast in the bottle but I'd rather not slurp down some horses hooves as well :blink: .
After a couple of weeks of bulk / cold conditioning, I would then either bulk prime and bottle or transfer to keg (when they arrive from the US! :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
TL

Back