Finally! Kiwi Micro's In Melb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
Anyone who has spent some time in NZ will know that pound for pound, they have the Aussie micro scene on the canvas....(perhaps, IMO :ph34r: )

Up until now I've only been able to find Emmersons over here. That is until I saw this on the Purvis Cellars web site:

http://www.purviscellars.com.au/ :icon_chickcheers: :icon_cheers: :beerbang:

Purvis Cellars have brought over a massive selection of the best NZ micros. This is a seriously good collection of NZ beers. Some, like the Mussel Inn & the 3 boys Oyster - are bloody hard to get in NZ.

This is a beer drinking windfall.

Cheers
POLAR

It's true Polar, you have hit the motherlode.

Purvis is a godsend when you're running low on your own HB supply or just want to sample something for future brewing inspiration. Discovered it a year and a bit ago. And the staff actually drink most of the beers so can actually tell you some stuff about them (although have pestered them about some Unibroue stuff, which one said he hadn't got to drinkin'.)

Keep an eye out for their tastings too. They do their own version of the 'Microbrewers Showcase' (similar to the Fed square but wider range) twice a year and get reps in from NZ. Last one I went to had MOA, Harringtons Brewery, Emersons' full range, and loads of other Kiwi delights alongside some of Australia's best craftbrews, and even a few international surprises thrown in like Rogues (US) and some yummy Czech pils. They also have a European one they normally do in October which co-incides with Ocktoberfest, which is also a ripper if like me you love your wheats and dortmunders.

Having Purvis so close by is a dangerous thing though - the cashcard is getting stretchmarks. :huh:

Hopper.

bahahaha, you can get DB Draught as well :blink:

:icon_vomit:

I'm off to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, it looks like I'll have to leave one of the kids behind so I can fit more beer into the car, this news is heavenly. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.

:icon_drool2:

I was in there this morning and availed myself of a number of beers from the new NZ section. Can't wait to give them a nudge.

Why are the first 3 pages all crap NZ mass produced swill? <_<

Epic would have to be my pick of the breweries they have on offer! Get an Armageddon if you can, its amazing!!

Avoid Monteiths and Macs IMO - its not craft or micro beer...

Also a shame they dont have any Renaissance...

Why are the first 3 pages all crap NZ mass produced swill? <_<

Epic would have to be my pick of the breweries they have on offer! Get an Armageddon if you can, its amazing!!

Avoid Monteiths and Macs IMO - its not craft or micro beer...

Also a shame they dont have any Renaissance...

They do have Renaissance rev! Scroll down on the home page. You'll see the article discussing all the Kiwi micro's. They have entire Renaissance range as far as I can tell.

They do have Renaissance rev! Scroll down on the home page. You'll see the article discussing all the Kiwi micro's. They have entire Renaissance range as far as I can tell.

:rolleyes: Woops, I just searched by country and couldnt see them there...

Lucky you guys :icon_cheers: Stonecutter is my fave NZ craft beer and one of the only ones I buy regularly! Perfection is also an awesome quaffing british pale ale!

Bum - would be keen to know what you think of Armageddon and also how its fared its trip over there - make sure you give some feedback :icon_cheers:

To save you all linking out, here's the list they are promoting:

Mata 330ml - Feijoa, Manuka Honey, Artesian
Epic - Pale Ale 330ml, Lager 330ml, Armageddon 500ml
Lighthouse 500ml - Tasman Bay Pilsner, Cheeky Little Lager, Dick's Dark, Nelson's Victory Ale, Classic Stout
Tuatara 330ml - IPA, Pilsner, Ardennes Strong Golden Ale, London Porter, Hefe
Renaissance 500ml - MPA Imperial IPA, Discovery APA, Elemental Porter, Stonecutter Scotch Ale, Paradox Blonde, Perfection Pale Ale
Pink Elephant 330ml - Mammoth, Golden Tusk
Dux 500ml - Nor'wester, Sou'wester, Hereford Dark Munich Lager
The Mussell Inn 1300ml - Captain Cooker, Golden Goose, Dark Horse
Harrington's 330ml - Wobbly Boot, The Rogue Hop, Classy Red
Founders (Organic) 500ml - Red Head, Tall Blonde, Fair Maiden, Generation, Long Black
Three Boys 500ml - Wheat, Pilsner, IPA, Oyster Stout, Porter, Golden Ale

Three Boys Porter being my personal favourite

Bum - would be keen to know what you think of Armageddon and also how its fared its trip over there - make sure you give some feedback :icon_cheers:

Will do. Won't be for a while though - gotta do a piss test for job I'm hoping to get so I'm gonna lay off for a little bit. Will definitely post my impressions once I've gotten into it.

Will do. Won't be for a while though - gotta do a piss test for job I'm hoping to get so I'm gonna lay off for a little bit. Will definitely post my impressions once I've gotten into it.

:( Beer like that wasnt made to keep mate, better drink it tonight just to be sure ;) lol

Don't worry, I have no intention of cellaring the bugger. It'll probably be gone by the weekend.

I know I shouldn't buy into a brewery's hype but I did and I was excited to try this beer. Aroma on pour was almost jackfruit, maybe with a bit of mandarin? A fair amount of hop flavour up front but little in the way of bitterness. I didn't really notice a strong malt backbone (but considering the lack of bitterness (for an IPA, of course) I guess it is still in balance). There is a mild bitterness to finish but it does linger (slightly peppery?). It is a nice beer but I'm not sure it is deserving of the name nor the claim that it will "challenge [my] preconceptions and tastebuds" nor that it is "too huge for this fragile Earth".

I'm tempted to blame the perceived, well not flaws but I dunno, absences(?) on beer miles but the Renaissance MPA IIPA I recently had was lacking nothing.

Still a pretty nice beer though.

Latest posts

Back