FG too high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyracer

Reaction score
Hey all.
I have a Triple X stout that appears to have stalled fermenting. FG is steady on 1026. Og 1058.
23 L batch @ 17.5 degrees. Day 10 in Fermenter. Rehydrated before pitching with plenty of action.
Has my yeast (nottingham) gone too sleep?
Should i give it a stir? re-pitch? Bottle it?
Never had anything read that high before.
Nottingham usually gives me a <1016 FG.

the couple of times I have had a really stuck brew I have just given it a gentle swirl and upped the temp a few degrees and its come good

last one was a saison that was at 1010 for 5 days. Not too high , but high for the recipe. I swirled and it got down to 1001 in 2 more days

What are you using to measure your FG?
Hopefully a hydrometer.
A refractometer does not accurately measure FG.You need to use a correction table.

What are you using to measure your FG?
Hopefully a hydrometer.
A refractometer does not accurately measure FG.You need to use a correction table.

Yes, A hydometer reading.
I've given it a swirl, and upped temp to 20 degrees. Check again in morning.

Did you happen to add any cocoa powder or other additives? Once had a choc stout with drinking chocolate added (ran out of cocoa powder) and the sediment threw out my hydrometer readings.

If its the one I am thinking of I made this a couple of months ago as all grain, the recipe asked for 11 g of dried yeast Brewers Friend told me 18 gram.
Triple-X | Stout
INGREDIENTS
  • For 6 gallons (22.7 L)
  • 7.2 lb (3.26 kg) | English Pale Ale LME (3.5 °L) | 68.9%
  • 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) | Lactose Powder (Milk Sugar) (0 °L) | 9.6%
  • 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) | Black Patent Malt (525 °L) | 9.6%
  • 0.75 lb (340 g) | Crystal (80 °L) | 7.2 %
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) | Pale Chocolate Malt (200 °L) | 4.8 %
  • 1.5 oz (43 g) | Kent Goldings 5% AA @ 60 minutes
  • Yeast (White Labs WLP006 Bedford British, Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale, or Fermentis Safale S-04
  • *The recipe is intended to yield 6 gallons at the end of the boil. 5.5 gallons are assumed to be racked to the fermenter (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss). Final volume should be 5 gallons for bottling (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss)
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.060 (14.8 °P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.023 (5.7 °P)
  • ABV: 4.9%
  • IBU: 29
  • SRM: 39 (78 EBC)
  • Boil Time: 60 minutes
  • Efficiency: n/a
  • Pre-boil Volume: 7 gallons (26.5 L)
  • Pre-boil Gravity: 1.051 (12.7 P)
DIRECTIONS
Fermentation and Conditioning

• Use 11 grams of properly rehydrated yeast, 2 liquid yeast packages, or make an appropriate starter.
  • Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).
  • When finished, carbonate the beer to approximately 1.5 to 2 volumes.
All-Grain Option
Replace the English extract with 10 lb (4.53 kg) British pale ale malt. Mash for 60 minutes at 151 °F (66 °C).

^^Thats it.
Guess i misread the 1023 FG bit... Just started wearing glasses and don't generally wear 'em in the shed.
Interesting read on starters. I have never made a 2 litre starter with 200 Gm of malt over 2 days!
I usually pitch into 1 or 2 cups of cooled boiled water (30 deg) with a little sucrose added.
Guess i've got a lot to learn...
Thanks lads.

Sounds like its close to done.

You mentioned getting 1016 using nottingham. That's quite high for such a highly attenuating strain. How are you measuring your mash temps? Maybe they are higher than anticipated?

That was the highest numbers i have written down in my brew data handbook. Single digits = better. From memory that was an early experiment in partials.
I am thinking my next investment might be the esky mash 'tun'. I usually do in the oven at 60-65 in lidded SS vessel. I have a thermometer probe in it to keep it below 68 usually. Batteries were flat this brew.....

Tried one last night. After upping temp with no action i left it for 2 more days then bottled at ~1026 FG. I guess the possible higher mash temp as suggested was to blame?
Tastes fantastic..even wife likes it and she isn't a stout drinker usually. Loads of coffee, good retention and pleasing bitterness. Will do this one again.

Latest posts

Back