FG Miles off - Coopers Abbey Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromesphere

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Brewing this: http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/abbey-blonde/

This is my third brew. Followed the recipe essentially to the letter. Had a boil over (lesson 1: don't use a 5 litre pot when it asks for 8 :) ) Lost some hops / wort in the process, but was only, maybe 500ml maximum. Apart from that followed the rest of the instructions. OG was 1.055
Says FG should be 1.010-1.014. I pitched at around 22 degrees. Fermentation went strong for about 2 days, seemed to start pretty quickly (within 12 hours) but stopped after ~ 2 days on 1.023. Its been another 3 days now, hasn't moved a peg from 1.023. I gave the brew a gentle swirl and put the temp up to 20, but made no difference.

Edit: a few more details. Fermented at 18 degrees. Taste so far is fine, pretty malty and a slight peppery note which to my relief is exactly how its supposed to taste. I don't taste anything sour.

Anyway suggestions / explainations / opinions welcome!

Cheers,
CS

Thanks Manticle. I realise that with DIY forums (im a member of DIY guitar pedal forums) similar questions get asked...all...the...time... Sorry if this was one of those questions. I will try a fast terment test. Cheers!

No need to apologise. It isn't always obvious if and where things rae stored (articles, etc) or what to search for.
Now that you know where the articles section is though, I highly recommend browsing through for good summaries on many other things. The section needs a clean but there is some great info within.

No worries Manticle, ill have a look through the articles cheers!

Also, think my brew must have heard me talking about it. I took a reading last night and im fairly certain its dropped by 1 or even 2 (1.021). So it might just not be finished I guess! Going to take on the advice I see so often with this one and leave it to settle for minimum 2 weeks before bottling, in the hope it will drop some more.

Bottling too early is always a bad idea. Yeast can stall so try the tricks mentioned in the article. You don't want exploding bottles.

Brewed the same beer and had similar fast fermentation at the start but it dropped to 1.013 and stayed there for a while. I seem to have done the same as you although my OG was a little lower at 1.051.

Just an update, tried the fast ferment test. Its been going for about 2 days now and ive been shaking the hell out of it. Tested it last night, gravity was 1.020!! I don't think its even dropped one point, maybe only half a point. I will leave it for another 2 days and see if it drops much more but looking like its finished...

Also, I had a second hydrometer from another coopers kit. Thought it would be worthwhile checking the accuracy of the hydrometer I was using. So checked them both versus tap water. The hydropmeter I've been using is 2 points higher then the new hydrometer. So...ASSUMING the new hydrometer is the accurate one...that's another 2 points off the reading. So we are looking, 1.018-1.019 now, although I haven't tested the brew for a few days so it could actually be slightly lower. I think I should get some distilled water and test them both because even the new hydrometer could be reading higher then is should!

So I think it is actually on track, although slightly on the high side. Im going to give it another full week to finish off anything it wants to finish.

Back