Fermentation Temp Stages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakechan

Reaction score
Someone a little while back posted some pics from a brewery (cant remember where/who) and an information plaque on the wall of the brewery mentioned a warm phase of fermentation. I got the impression that they were talking about initially fermenting at cool temps, then bringing the temp up higher later in the fermentation process.

Then I read Ross mention it here today as well.

Can anyone shed anymore light on this subject?

This may suit my purpose nicely as I would like to be able to stop watching my fermenter after a while and leave it to sit in warmer room temps, although that may still be too hot in Gladdy at this stage (30).

Cheers,
Jake

I wouldn't want to brew any higher than 22-23 degrees (for my ales that is).

I brew at an ambient temp of 20 degrees - which would give me probably 22 degrees inside the fermenter. I would consider that a warm ferment. Also makes the yeasts work faster and pump out more esters.

You can also ferment cool and bring the temp up - like with a weizen, pitch at 12 and ferment at 18.

However, if you are wanting to ferment cool, sometimes you need to bring the temp up at the very end of the ferment for the yeast to clean up all its mess. I think its called a diacetyl rest (spelling?).

Cheers
Phil

Like all things brewing: IT DEPENDS.

Maybe the brewery in question pitches low at 25C for propagation purposes and then drops to their desired fermantation temp after 24 hours.

Fermentation profiles are all about yeast strain and fermentation temperature regimes, all designed to obtain a desired result in the finished beer.

Screwy

Back