Fermentation Sorted!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
Yo,

I have finally sorted my fermentation control. I am running 2x 30L & 1x 60L fermenters and have them all under control at 19-21 deg. SWMBO was not as excited as me.... Why? I don't get it!! ;) I bring home a coopers kit in March and now:

2x dead fridges - ebay = $7.20
2x Fridgemate + 1 NTC probe = $150
2x heatbelt = $70
1x Heater - bunnings = $24

SET and FORGET FERMENTATION = PRICELESS!!

Fridges:
View attachment 20098

60L w/NTC probe running 2 heatbelts
Inside_60.jpg

Dual 30L fridge running heater:
Inside_30.jpg

Now this side is sorted the AG setup quest begins...

I know its pretty minor but had to share!!

Cheers
Cocko!
:super:

PS: Don't tell SWMBO what AG is or the gear needed and cost!! ;)

What are you going to do when summer comes around? Fix the fridges?

yep your gonna need something to keep it cool over summer

Yeah I know... summer will be harder, maybe ice blocks or something - I will cross that bridge when I come to it!

But I figure knocking out 12 slabs a fortnight all winter should give me a decent stock pile for the really hot months anyway :)

Maybe SWMBO will buy me a lagering fridge for Chrissi :lol:

Cheers
Cocko

Yo,

I have finally sorted my fermentation control. I am running 2x 30L & 1x 60L fermenters and have them all under control at 19-21 deg. SWMBO was not as excited as me.... Why? I don't get it!! ;) I bring home a coopers kit in March and now:

She probably thought the coopers kit was about *saving* money! :lol:

That's great, but just a thought:
The real purpose of control is to control the actual ferment, not the fridge, temperature.
Put the probe in the ferment.
If you start using different yeasts, they will produce heat differently, and if you start getting fussy when you go AG, and want controllable repeatable results, you may need to revisit based on this.
Cheers

Its great to see people excited and sharing. Top work cocko.
One thing though, how strong is that shelf in the fridge that the top fermenter is stitting on? I be adding onto the bottom wooden shelf with four wooden uprights in each corner with another shelf on top of them. If you know what I mean?
Cheers
Steve

That's great, but just a thought:
The real purpose of control is to control the actual ferment, not the fridge, temperature.
Put the probe in the ferment.
If you start using different yeasts, they will produce heat differently, and if you start getting fussy when you go AG, and want controllable repeatable results, you may need to revisit based on this.
Cheers
The 60L fermenter has a probe inside the fermenter, I think if ol' cobber Cocko was to lash out on another NTC probe and associated heat belts, he might find himself out of a home.... if you know what I mean? ;)

Its great to see people excited and sharing. Top work cocko.
One thing though, how strong is that shelf in the fridge that the top fermenter is stitting on? I be adding onto the bottom wooden shelf with four wooden uprights in each corner with another shelf on top of them. If you know what I mean?
Cheers
Steve

Cheers mate, its better to see people caring!
I have a heavy duty L bend shelf mount supporting it, dunno if you can make it out in the photo. But yes I agree, it needs to be strong, after all it is holding 'MY BEER!!' I am positive it will not collapse but will be reinforcing over time to come, can't be too safe!! Many Cheers!

The 60L fermenter has a probe inside the fermenter, I think if ol' cobber Cocko was to lash out on another NTC probe and associated heat belts, he might find himself out of a home.... if you know what I mean? ;)

Yep, spot on GDF, the 60L is running wort temp with probe - awesome.

Stick on therms on both 30L are both reading 20... so I am happy with that!!

And yes pretty close to the mark with, if I buy another F/mate, 2 more probes and belts or pads etc that I would not have a home to brew in... ;) Slowly, Slowly..... after all I am only 5 months in to this obsession Habit hobby!

Thanks again.

Cheers
Cocko
:icon_cheers:

When the cost of heating/cooling is factored into the cost of making AG or even K&K (I'll assume we all agree that this is worth less than AG beer), how much do you really think brewers with the full set up are saving? At the moment I spend around $50.00 (~20L) give or take for grain, yeast and hops, that makes me a pretty basic beer, I'm sure replicating more complex beers would cost more than that, so I'll compare my beer to something along the lines of coopers sparkling ale, meaning I get 2 cartons of homebrew for the cost of 1 commercial.

Talking to my friend who recently got a job with AGL electricity, he reckons the most expensive part of most households electricity bill is their fridge. So does it equal out as worth it? I wonder how much renting cooled storage space would be... hmmmm.

EDIT: Geeez I rant. Sorry.

If you fermenting ales at 20degc then your fridge or freezer is not cycling on that often and even with lagers using a chest freezer for cooling it doesn't cycle that much, far less then a fridge running all the time. As for dispensing no matter what beer you drink it has to be cold so you need a fridge for that. For me it cost around $25 for 20L so still under the cheapest crap domestic ber I can buy.

$35 dollars plus water,electricity, gas, sanitisers, bottletops 23 litres K&K . Result beer you cant buy hopefully oh yes, cost in failures, but when you do a good one priceless.Just made a home brew come back 1 dud (infected) 2nd average 3rd gold nut brown with steeped grains was going to give a few away but only got a few left & I recon I got into them too early I wish I had more.

I don't understand why SWMBO never gets excited about brewing and brew gear either....

Back