Extract 10 minute IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dan

Reaction score
I was reading a few old posts last night, and I was wondering if a 10 minute IPA would work using only extracts, or would you need to boil a massive load of extract to get the required hop utilisation? Anyone tried anything like this, and how did it go?

I reckon you can get about 30 IBU worth of bitterness for a 20 litre brew in a 5 litre boil.

If you want it any bitterer (interesting word) you will have to increase your boil size.

Drinking one atm.

Three it together with stuff laying around.

1.5kg morgans extra pale lme
1.5kg morgans amber lme
1kg cheeky peak wheat dme
100gm galaxy @ 10
100gm cascade @ 10

7lt boil enough dme to make 1040ish, hops in, flameout at 10, tip into 15lt cube, dissolve rest of the "malt bill" in in enough boiling water to make up another 6lt or so, tip into cube, top up with hot tap water, lid on, lay on side for 10, lay on other side for 10, then into laundry sink full of cold water.

Top up to 21lt in fermenter and let us05 make me beer.

Was ridiculously bitter at bottling, a month in the bottle and its still to bitter but only just.

Hop aroma and flavour is not nearly what I expected. O didn't dry hop this one, regretting this atm as I think another 50gm of each galaxy and cascade would have made a bit of a ridiculously tasty beverage.

As it sits though its definitely nice.

Latest posts

Back