Extra aroma with dry hopping - in FV or keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There

I have just made a standard coopers pale ale kit.

I want to dry hop with amarillo in a few days.

Question - do most of you use hop bags or just chuck in? I have steep before and just chuck everything in...Have not really had a probably but seeing this method will make a cleaner beer, therefore better? Do you think you should spray any sanitizer on them?

Do some of you dry hop in the keg (with a bag?) - I see there is an attachment for corny keg to drop hops in - attaches to lid and to hangs down.

Which is better - in keg or in fermenter? Or same?

Thanks

Morning TR. I prefer mine loose into the fermenter. I've added them into a hop spider for the keg but some hop pieces made their way out through the holes in the spider lid and I got a lot into my keg diptube. It cleared okay but it was a nuisance and I got real grassiness from the flavour. I don't get that by fermenter hops.

The hops? No.
Yes, no issues? I find it a bit strange that we are worried cleaning, then just just something in...no chance of tiny bacteria or by the time this goes the liquid is mostly alcohol so a natural cleaner?

I don't know about them being a natural cleaner but when you look at how they are stored (fridge or frozen) and that they are antibacterial and antifungal. So not much chance of any problems. Also they're going into green beer that has bitterness already and I think that is where the antibac comes in.
PS. And I don't have any problems with brewing that way after many years.

Back