Experienced Home Brewer Having Trouble With Faulty Beer Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan101rayzor

Reaction score
I am not sure if my home brew beer is faulty:
I used Cascade chocolate mahogany with bohemian yeast included, 300g dark malt, 300g dextrose, 300g corn syrup, filtered water 22degC, everything sterile.
I tried a different method, then hit trouble. I decided to make life easier by dissolving the sugars in the hot water first, then adding the beer kit tin syrup second. I pitched the yeast at 26degC which later stabilised to 22degC. No air lock activity for 2 days, brew very flat, so then I sprinkled another packet of the same yeast on top. Air lock activity started within an hour and has been bubbling away merrily for 6 days now. Theres a nice? white foam on top, no bad smells, but too much? activity which is not subsiding. I took a sample which tastes yeasty. Any ideas???
P.S. I dont have a hydrometer, I usually rely on monitoring air lock activity and bottling after 4-6 days.

It sounds fine to me. Take SG readings, don't rely on the airlock.

edit: Get a hydrometer... Unless you want to lose an eye.

Get youself a hydrometer, airlock activity means stuff all. If you get a stuck ferment and bottle in glass then bad shit is likely to happen. Airlocks can continue to bubble after fermentation is finished due to co2 coming out of solution caused by temp fluctuations, alot of peoples airlocks don't even bubble because of a very slight leak around the lid or grommet. The ONLY use for an airlock is to keep bugs/crap out of the fermenter.

When it does bubble though it's a nice comforting sound. That's the main reason I haven't got rid of mine.

Gloop

Gloop

Gloop

Gloop

+1 on the hydrometer
It's the only way to be sure.

In my pre hydrometer days I was bottling too early by waiting 3 days after bubbling stopped and wondered why the beer was so gassy.

The hydrometer showed me that ferment wasn't over.

Also it helps you greatly when experimenting with recipe additions - so my advice - buy one now.

P.S. I dont have a hydrometer, I usually rely on monitoring air lock activity and bottling after 4-6 days.

This users 1st post... is someone taking the Michael? :blink:

:lol: :lol: I though of you Butters as soon as I read the post

Latest posts

Back