Exhaust Fan For Un-flooded Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would like to know if this would work with around 750cm of line from tap to font mounted on bar if you used aeroflex and had it all sealed well. Might not work to well. Any thoughts??

Scotsman

Would like to know if this would work with around 750cm of line from tap to font mounted on bar if you used aeroflex and had it all sealed well. Might not work to well. Any thoughts??

Scotsman

Scotsman,

I don't think it would work on a bar font with the font sealed up as with out somewhere for the air to go the fan wouldn't be able to push any cold air in. And with out the font sealed all the cold air would be droping out the bottom. Plus pumping your cold air outa the fridge will probably make it less efficent.

You could go for a home made glycol setup using a pond pump and just coil your cooling line inside the font. I seen one on this forum using salt water coming from the frezzer and the guy said he had condensation on his font all year round and it was outside. can't remember the name of the thread but maybe a search will turn it up for you.

For those that were following, this has made a huge difference. I can still tell between the first a second pour. If I tilt my glass and go for no head the first pour probably has not even half a centimeter, the second none.
So its cooling off here now so in summer it may not be quiet as effective?
But compared to before, the first pour I would do half a glass to get things cold set it aside. Pour the second no worries, grab the first fill it up then suck off some froth and top it up.
Well worth the twenty odd I spent on the fan, box and switch, but if you did some scavaging you would build it for near nothing.

photos of it installed.

How does your fan box get power mate? Is it battery or hooked into the fridge?

Scotsman,

I don't think it would work on a bar font with the font sealed up as with out somewhere for the air to go the fan wouldn't be able to push any cold air in. And with out the font sealed all the cold air would be droping out the bottom. Plus pumping your cold air outa the fridge will probably make it less efficent.

You could go for a home made glycol setup using a pond pump and just coil your cooling line inside the font. I seen one on this forum using salt water coming from the frezzer and the guy said he had condensation on his font all year round and it was outside. can't remember the name of the thread but maybe a search will turn it up for you.

Have thought about going the glycol way but i dont have a freezer to put it in as im using a chest freezer for my keg fridge so wouldnt be able to get it cold enough anyway.

you could just use cold water instead of glycol - just run it from a bucket (or preferably something with a lot of surface area) from your keggerator, into the font and back, same as glycol.. Might not make for frozen font territory, but it would have to get it colder than nothing. If just air from teh bottom of the fridge can do the trick - water wouldn't be that much different, just easier to pump over the distance. And then if you ever do get another freezer, the swap to actual glycol would be a snap.

???

TB

How does your fan box get power mate? Is it battery or hooked into the fridge?

Goose,
I'm powering the fan with a DC 12v transforma. Cause the lead is only a few mm thick I just have it running out the door (this can be seen if you look close in the last picture).

I was thinking of running the lead through the the hole the gas line is in but I would have needed to fit a plug to the box and the lead so it could be removed as I don't want this to be a permanent fixture.

I did consider taking power from the fridge this wouldn't be too hard but remember that a transformer will need to be installed you can't run one of those fans on 240v AC. Also this would have meant that the fan would be permanent in this fridge.

I was thinking that if it works well I'd fit a plug set so the lead can be passed throu the hole but now that its in and hardly noticeable I'm not gonna bother, maybe I'll do it one day if I have to replace the fan.

Goose,

As per my PM.

The fans come with white plugs on them and a couple of extra wires going out to another plug. That controls the speed of the fan when its in a computer in realation to the temp. Just lop them of so you are left with the red and black wire coming from the fan.

I soldered my conections and insulated the positive with electrical tape. you could even do away with the switch if you wanted and turn it on and off at the power point cause its gonna be running non stop pretty much.

View attachment 3119_001.pdf

Back