Excellent Aussie Home Brew Site

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Stumbled on this site, really excellent, I don't know if this site has been posted or if Les or Judy are AHB members but this site has brilliant info for all new recruits in the Kits and extracts area but good advice for all.

http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/

Nothing about AG, suggest this should be moved to the KnK section.....or humour :p

Not a bad site for the beginners, simplistic explanations, but not totally ignorant.

This page (or mostly their priming calculator) has been linked to a few times.
I used to use the calculator prior to owning Beersmith, it's not bad.

Beer styles are ...... well....interesting, check out APA's

AMERICAN PALE ALES
Although these beers differ greatly from brand to brand in the mind of the unknowing consumer,

Thanks to advertising campaigns, they are for the most part identical in taste and strength (about 4 to 5% alcohol by volume). All the light, standard, and premium brands were originally based on the classic Pilsner style, but they are now much different from that style. They are light-coloured, gassy, and watery, with a delicate sweetness and an adjuncty (corn or rice is the adjunct grain mixed with barley) aroma and flavour (light versions have almost no taste or aroma). Primarily thirst quenchers, they should be served ice cold.

Those style guides sure are interesting to say the least. That web site looks like it is from 1995. How many spam buttons can they cram onto that page?

PILSNER

(also spelt pils, pilsner, and in the Czech Republic, plzensky)

I think I may need to go back to school, I must have missed something.

PILSNER

(also spelt pils, pilsner, and in the Czech Republic, plzensky)

I think I may need to go back to school, I must have missed something.
the plzensky bit is right, as in Plzensky Prasdroj (Pilsner Urquell) - pilsner = from Pilsen (Plzen)

apart from the fact that this looks like a 1992 website I think the info's pretty good! they obviously mean "american pale lager" - looks like they copied the style info out of Roger Protz or somewhere

Beer styles are ...... well....interesting, check out APA's

This sounds like the sort of thing that most punters have in their heads when you say "American Pale Ale" - they think American pale beer - ie Bud or Coors. This is the primary reason why Aussie companies producing great APAs (Matida Bay Alpha, LCPA) never include the "American" - just gives the wrongh image from the start. So often I offer my mates an APA and they say "I can't stand that crap" but when they try the beer they are totally amazed that the beer is actually copper-coloured, full of flavour and hoppy as hell! :lol:

Back