Evapouration Rate With A 50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sah

Reaction score
I'd appreciate hearing what evapouration rate (as a percentage) others experience with a 50L keg from a 60 min rolling boil?

My high pressure gas burners arrived today :super:, previously my boils have been rather wimpy.

thanks
Scott

For my 50L keg I have 15% plugged into beersmith which is about 8L with a 90min boil... so about 5.5L for 60min. The opening in my keg is 25cm, it used to be smaller and the evaporation rate was lower.

I don't measure my evaporation rate in %, but in a fifty lt keg and a good rolling boil I lose 6lt per hour, and 9lt for a 90 min boil.

Cheers
Andrew

G'day SAH. I generally lose about 8-10 lts for a 90 min boil. Get that HP reg going as fast as you can without a boilover. Good luck ! If you overdo the evaporation just top up to finished volume with boiled water

John :D

On my last ag i lost only 2 litres from a 25 liter boil in 60 minutes

I lose about 6 litres per hour (more if it's a windy day).

I must boil the crap out of my brews because i lose about 12 litres to evap on average for every brew. Thats a 35L preboil volume,which includes 5-10 minutes of bringing to the boil, plus 75min boiling time.

vl.

i loose 6 liters/hr to evaporation

1 loose 1 liter / hr to unknown forces while im brewing, i think it might be my stomach :)

15% per hour here, 90 min boil 32 litres down to 25litres.

Fire it up
Jayse

Thanks for the comments. I was going to allow for only 10% I think I'll adjust that up a little :D

Cheers
Scott

I'm in the 15% per hour camp. I don't use a keg though. I use an 80 litre ally pot. I'm inclined to think this offers more surface area. :)

It's controllable by regulating the flame and partially closing the lid. Gulp! :ph34r: Hope I didn't create a separate debate there.

Warren -

Are most of you guys using NASA burners? I bought a 3 ring the other day and haven't used it for a brew yet, but I'm interested in knowing what evaporation I might expect for this type of burner. I don't use a keg either, I have a 45L stainless boiler, so like Warren the diameter might be a bit bigger than a keg. I also don't have a lid.

T.D.

I'm using a NASA. I'd expect you'd lose more to evaporation running the thing flat knackers. Generally speaking I don't do this though. I run it on high to hit the boil, turn it down and keep the boil fairly vigorous (lid off) for the first 15 minutes then lower the juice slightly and adjust the lid to try and regulate the evaporation from here on. :beerbang:

To sort of answer your question yes and no the NASA would evaporate more but only if you want it to. :)

Warren -

Thanks Warren. I'll allow for around 6L for my first brew with the burner and see how it turns out. I used an immersion element before by the way, and the evaporation with those is a bit less - something like 4-5L/hr.

Yep,

My original boiler was a 50 litre keg with a 2400 watt immersion element. You won't break any land speed record with those... Yawn! :lol:

The 3 ring should make things a little more exciting I'd say. :)

Warren -

You guys make me feel like im doing something wrong I lose about 9%

I bring the brew to the boil with my nasa at full power then I take it back to almost off and the brew stays at a gentle rolling boil.

I think in order to lose 15% like some of you I would have to be boiling the shit out of it.

BennyBrewster said:
I think in order to lose 15% like some of you I would have to be boiling the shit out of it.
[post="119842"][/post]​
Yep, that's the idea of it.
Don't want any of that in the finished product :blink: :D

Normell

Benny are you using a converted keg? :unsure:

My potential 15% comes from an 80 litre ally pot. It has a very wide diameter offering up a rather large surface area. :)

Plus if you've cut the standard hole in your keg with an angle grinder there's still enough of the keg top to catch a little bit of the condensation and have it drip back in to the boil.

Warren -

Back