Esb 3kg Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbrown07

Reaction score
Has anyone else used this kit?

I did not add anything else to the kit (apart from H2O), and used carbo drops in glass long necks for bottling.

Not a bad drop, but seems to be pretty highly carbonated - although FG was steady over a few days before bottling.

Also, not too pilsner-ish (in my opinion) - seems to be lacking a bit of residual crispness and clean finish.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone else used this kit?

I did not add anything else to the kit (apart from H2O), and used carbo drops in glass long necks for bottling.

Not a bad drop, but seems to be pretty highly carbonated - although FG was steady over a few days before bottling.

Also, not too pilsner-ish (in my opinion) - seems to be lacking a bit of residual crispness and clean finish.

Any thoughts?

hi,
when i brewed one it turned out a nice drop of beer for a kit beer with plenty of flavour. i did not do any thing other than follow instructions
on the tin. try reducing the priming sugar to prevent overcarbonating.

cheers, alan

hi,
when i brewed one it turned out a nice drop of beer for a kit beer with plenty of flavour. i did not do any thing other than follow instructions
on the tin. try reducing the priming sugar to prevent overcarbonating.

cheers, alan

Alan,

Thanks for the post - maybe I need to be a bit more patient with it (bottled in early December) and wait a bit longer.

Oh well, just an excuse to keep trying...!

I have had beers that over-carbonate, I was using carbo-drops as well. Though I use stubbies not long necks. either way there should not be a difference, just make sure that you follow the dosage listed on the carbo drop packet.

One in particular that over-carbonated tended to settle down after a while, not too sure why. I would think that the carbonation level wouldn't drop in a sealed bottle. Maybe the beer just matured more, it did take several months after all, but it turned out very drinkable.

Oh well, just an excuse to keep trying...!
Thats the way! At first, if you don't succeed. Brew more! :beerbang:

Just had a look at the ESB site.

One of these kits is $29.

For $37 you can get a Pilsener fresh wort kit.

And I believe there's a $5 refund for a clean cube.

So. Effectively for $3 more, you can get an AG Pilsener.

Or you can save $3 and get a kit beer. (A pretty good kit beer, as they go, but a kit beer nonetheless.)

Hmm...

Just had a look at the ESB site.

One of these kits is $29.

For $37 you can get a Pilsener fresh wort kit.

And I believe there's a $5 refund for a clean cube.

So. Effectively for $3 more, you can get an AG Pilsener.

Or you can save $3 and get a kit beer. (A pretty good kit beer, as they go, but a kit beer nonetheless.)

Hmm...

and the (cubes of wort) ones I've bought came with a Saf yeast. I don't know what yeast ESB use, but if not a Saf or similar, you get a benefit there.

However don't discount the ESB 3k kits - still good value for money for those who don't want to AG or do not have access to fresh wort kits.

and the (cubes of wort) ones I've bought came with a Saf yeast. I don't know what yeast ESB use, but if not a Saf or similar, you get a benefit there.

However don't discount the ESB 3k kits - still good value for money for those who don't want to AG or do not have access to fresh wort kits.

The ESB 3kgs are the best canned kits I tried.

I found the ESB Weizen kit to be particularly good. But it is still a canned kit.

The 3kg kits do come with decent yeasts (although K97 is still being supplied with wheat kits, both canned and fresh wort. No excuse for that nowadays.)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Given that this is only my 3rd brewing attempt, I am still plugging away on the basics and enjoying the ride.

I have been interested in the liquid wort products, but haven't yet graduated there yet. Hopefully soon.

I was mostly interested in seeing what the taste difference was between an 'ordinary' tin (ie Coopers, etc) and the ESB 3kg tin was like, because for ease of use, you just can't beat it.

Otherwise, back to the drawing board and another chance to make some beer!

but haven't yet graduated there yet. Hopefully soon.

mate - theres nothing to graduate to. They are quicker and easier than the ESB 3 kg tins.

Cheers
Steve

mate - theres nothing to graduate to. They are quicker and easier than the ESB 3 kg tins.

Cheers
Steve

Hear, hear. No dissolving, mixing, stirring. Just chuck in the wort and chuck in the yeast. Put your feet up.

Give the brew some time to mature.

Best drunk after 6 months - not 6 weeks.

The carbonation will settle down and the flavour round out.

I've done the ESB Cech Pils and it's great but needs time to mature.
Also, there's not that much difference between the expensive kits (Cans) and Fresh Wort Kits. They both taste fine.

BOG

Also, there's not that much difference between the expensive kits (Cans) and Fresh Wort Kits. They both taste fine.
BOG

I think you may have just opened up a can of worms, you cannot compare AG and Kits equally B)

What?

Of course you can. You taste them!

What yeast did you use, and what temp did you ferment at? You probably only get that real Pilsner crispness if you use a Pilsner yeast (duh!) and brew at ~10 degrees.

Brew at temp as per instructions (between 21-24 degrees) using yeast supplied. I did so on the assumption that the kit was made by persons who know about the correct temperature for the relevant yeast.

You are probably right though, it may need some lower temp fermentation next time round.

I wouldnt be brewing a ESB 3kg Pils kit at 21-24 degrees, Im 99% sure that the yeast that comes with that kit is a Saf 34/70 yeast so it should be brewed at lager temps if possible.

I wouldnt be brewing a ESB 3kg Pils kit at 21-24 degrees, Im 99% sure that the yeast that comes with that kit is a Saf 34/70 yeast so it should be brewed at lager temps if possible.

They definitely supply Saflager yeast with this one.

I remember hearing a talk by one of the liquid yeast makers (not sure if it was from Wyeast or Whitelabs). They were asked about brewing lagers if you can't keep the temps down. Specifically, should you use an ale yeast instead, or go with the lager yeast at the higher temps. He advised the latter.

But it does seem odd that ESB doesn't at least suggest the lower temp.

Back