Epic Hop Zombie DIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than my 60 minute additions, I only have additions at 10 mins or less. Would you suggest I bring up my late addition IBUs by just increasing the amounts of my hops (I'll have to put a HEAP in to achieve that) or start the late additions earlier? e.g.beginning at 20 min or 15 min.

I would just bulk up your additions from 10 mins. They are going to give you some extra bitterness, somewhere around 70 would be good. It is the hop flavour you are chasing and Hop Zombie has bucketloads. Personally, I'd smack it with a heap of Centennial. I just love that hop.

browndog said:
Personally, I'd smack it with a heap of Centennial. I just love that hop.
+1 I'm just enjoying a nice Bells 2 Hearted IPA clone with 390g of centennial in a double batch. Friggin awesome.
I better get some yeast into cube number 2 as this keg is getting lighter by the day.

smokomark said:
+1 I'm just enjoying a nice Bells 2 Hearted IPA clone with 390g of centennial in a double batch. Friggin awesome.
I better get some yeast into cube number 2 as this keg is getting lighter by the day.
390 grams of Centennial? I'l be there in 20 mins :lol:

Hey Billy, how did this go?

I'm wanting to do something similar.

Epic list the hop flavours & aromas as pink guava, mango and passionfruit, and buggered if I know what produces mango or guava.

They also say they only use pale ale and pilsner malt.

I have been advised that this beer is available again, and so I will be tasting some this Friday, along with some TNP from Brewdog. Local availability may vary

I thought it was Simcoe that had 'run out worldwide'.

Ah. Simcoe - that was last year too, I think. Explain the pine descriptor.

OK apologies for hijacking but probably no need to start a new thread.

I've put together a recipe using the hops I have.
Summit instead of Centennial.
Czech Saaz and Galaxy in place of the NZ B-Saaz and D-Saaz hops. Nelson Sauvin didn't seem right to me.
I won't be exactly like the Hop Zombie but I'm aiming for similar flavours.

The colour also looked a bit thin without any crystal so I chucked in a little bit of Caramunich III.

Comments welcome!

Recipe: Living Dead IPA
Brewer: Mike C
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l
Bottling Volume: 18.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 12.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 71.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.30 kg Ale (BB) (6.3 EBC) Grain 1 49.3 %
3.30 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 49.3 %
0.10 kg Caramunich III (150.0 EBC) Grain 3 1.5 %
8.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
8.00 g Summit [16.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
3.00 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -
30.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 14.0 IBUs
30.00 g Galaxy [12.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 12.7 IBUs
30.00 g Saaz (Czech) [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
30.00 g Summit [16.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 17.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 12 -
20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Galaxy [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Saaz (US) [5.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Summit [16.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.70 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 19.47 l of water at 54.8 C 50.0 C 30 min
Saccharification Heat to 64.4 C over 15 min 64.4 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 13.98 l water at 75.6 C

I'd dump the Czech saaz, it is going to add 2/5ths of bugger all to a hoppy beer. Replace it with the Nelson Sauvin, it will mix in fine.

browndog said:
I'd dump the Czech saaz, it is going to add 2/5ths of bugger all to a hoppy beer. Replace it with the Nelson Sauvin, it will mix in fine.
Could probably forget the Galaxy then too if using NS? (wikipedia reckons NS has a strong suggestion of passionfruit).

mikec said:
Could probably forget the Galaxy then too if using NS? (wikipedia reckons NS has a strong suggestion of passionfruit).
Not an icecube's chance in Hades. Nelson and Galaxy complement. I find that Nelson gives a completely different flavour to Galaxy (think subtle Sauvignon Blanc with a hint of peach/passionfruit vs a can of passiona). I have a recipe that varies (called Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale) - there's about 4 pages of pics, feedback and the like on it (even if recipedb is down).

Galaxy plus Nelson = excellent beer.

Malted said:
I reckon she would Drink Brewdog Tactical Nuclear Penguin at $169 per stubbie. http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_702608/brewdog-tactical-nuclear-penguin or something like that.

alien13 said:
I reckon she might be more impartial to the Sink The Bismarck IPA or the End of History beer from BrewDog. Either way, I wouldn't be declining an invitation for a beer at her place that's for sure!
Slightly :icon_offtopic:

A member of the Illawarra Brewers Union bought in a bottle of each to our last drinking day that he bought back with him from the US.

We just had a shot of them (those who chipped in to bring a bottle of each back) and really are incredible. Definitely worth a try.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Not an icecube's chance in Hades. Nelson and Galaxy complement. I find that Nelson gives a completely different flavour to Galaxy (think subtle Sauvignon Blanc with a hint of peach/passionfruit vs a can of passiona). I have a recipe that varies (called Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale) - there's about 4 pages of pics, feedback and the like on it (even if recipedb is down).

Galaxy plus Nelson = excellent beer.
Duly noted!

Back