Epic Hop Zombie DIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK updated with NS.

Do my 10 min and dry hop additions look OK quantity-wise, or am I over-doing it?

Recipe: Living Dead IPA
Code:
Brewer: Mike C
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 18.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 12.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 70.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.30 kg               Ale (BB) (6.3 EBC)                       Grain         1        49.3 %        
3.30 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         2        49.3 %        
0.10 kg               Caramunich III (150.0 EBC)               Grain         3        1.5 %         
5.00 g                Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           4        6.4 IBUs      
5.00 g                Summit [16.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           5        7.8 IBUs      
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        6        -             
3.00 g                Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          Other         7        -             
30.00 g               Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min          Hop           8        14.0 IBUs     
30.00 g               Galaxy [12.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           9        12.7 IBUs     
30.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [11.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min  Hop           10       12.1 IBUs     
30.00 g               Summit [16.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           11       17.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         12       -             
20.00 g               Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days       Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      
20.00 g               Galaxy [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           14       0.0 IBUs      
20.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [11.70 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Da Hop           15       0.0 IBUs      
20.00 g               Summit [16.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           16       0.0 IBUs

Holy crap that's a lot of dry hops! I'd be wary of that much galaxy in dry - but TBH, if you're putting 80g of hops in dry a bit of galaxy harshness will probably not be noticible because the whole thing will taste like chewing hops.

So I guess the answer to my question would be "yes".
Halve the dry hops maybe?

I personally will not ever dry hop with galaxy again. Not even 1 gram of the stuff.

2g/L will give you a big hop aroma and flavour with dry hopping. While it seems like the more you put in the better it'll be - past a certain point your beer ends up becoming dominated by a sparp, grassy taste (just tastes like chewing hops).

Don't let that stop you though - it's only one guy's opinion. Others will say 4g/L is not enough.

Many a great beer has been wrecked with the dry hops. Proceed with caution.

Also I have no idea on summit - except I have heard a lot of people describe it as "onions" - that might warn of caution also.

What was the problem with Galaxy Nick?
Comment re Summit worth noting too.

Maybe I'll start light with the dry hops, I can always add more to the keg if I so desire.

I brewed an APA with about 35 IBUs of Galaxy at 15 minutes (a single addition) and it was fantastic in the fermenter and fading a little in 2ndary.

So I added 1g/L of Galaxy in the keg. Within a day the keg was ruined. Tasted like getting a handful of dark green Celery leaves, and blending them with Pasito.

The Pasito I wanted; the sharp grassiness I didn't.

EDIT: Citra is the best dry hopper I've ever come across.

I've used 90g galaxy dry hopped in 21lt batch before. Results were fantastic, no grassiness at all. The massive passionfruit aroma was perfect for my Stone and Wood Pacific ale inspired brew.

I'd leave your dry hops pretty much as is. Maybe cut back the NS a bit, but that my personal preference as I find it tends to dominate a bit to much.

At 70IBU you want substantial flavour and aroma hop components to keep the beer balanced.

I've never keg hopped with galaxy before, but have to agree with Nick that Citra is awesome dry in the fermenter and in the keg.

smokomark said:
I've used 90g galaxy dry hopped in 21lt batch before. Results were fantastic, no grassiness at all. The massive passionfruit aroma was perfect for my Stone and Wood Pacific ale inspired brew.

I'd leave your dry hops pretty much as is. Maybe cut back the NS a bit, but that my personal preference as I find it tends to dominate a bit to much.

At 70IBU you want substantial flavour and aroma hop components to keep the beer balanced.

I've never keg hopped with galaxy before, but have to agree with Nick that Citra is awesome dry in the fermenter and in the keg.
I reckon dry hopping in primary (towards the end of fermentation) works best for grassy/harsh hops. Seems to mellow them out do only the fruitiness is left.

Dunno what it is about keg hopping that is sketchy - maybe the CO2 changes something?

Sorry for the late reply, the final 6 months of my PhD are starting to get a little hectic.

I brewed this 4 weeks ago, and it's been fermenting at a steady 17º C. There were a few slight changes to the recipe - when I went to my brew shop, they had new stock in of Wai-Iti (a hop I had never heard of) and after reading the description, I subbed it in for my Nelson Sauvin additions (except for the original bittering addition).

Everything else stayed the same as the recipe I posted. I'm going to dry hop it tonight, for 2 weeks at 4º C; light on the Centennial and Citra and heavy on the Motueka and Wai-Iti. This beer is already smelling and looking great, so I can't wait to have a taste. I'll post my thoughts when I've cracked open my first one.

BillyPilgrim9 said:
Sorry for the late reply, the final 6 months of my PhD are starting to get a little hectic.

I brewed this 4 weeks ago, and it's been fermenting at a steady 17º C. There were a few slight changes to the recipe - when I went to my brew shop, they had new stock in of Wai-Iti (a hop I had never heard of) and after reading the description, I subbed it in for my Nelson Sauvin additions (except for the original bittering addition).

Everything else stayed the same as the recipe I posted. I'm going to dry hop it tonight, for 2 weeks at 4º C; light on the Centennial and Citra and heavy on the Motueka and Wai-Iti. This beer is already smelling and looking great, so I can't wait to have a taste. I'll post my thoughts when I've cracked open my first one.
You definitely can't be accused of rushing things.

Hi, Yob and Slash22000. I got Hop Zombie at Warners at the Bay bottle shop in Newcastle(Warners Bay) for $16 a bottle. Not much cheaper than what you said but a few bucks left in your pocket is always better than none. Have a look at their website as they will deliver to your door if you can't find it anywhere else around your area.

Hey legends

Hop Zombie is 100% Citra. Luke from Epic came out for Sydney Craft Beer Week last year and did a tap takeover at the Local Taphouse. One of the trivia questions was about this and if I remember correctly, it's 100% Citra.

Joel

joel connolly said:
Hey legends

Hop Zombie is 100% Citra. Luke from Epic came out for Sydney Craft Beer Week last year and did a tap takeover at the Local Taphouse. One of the trivia questions was about this and if I remember correctly, it's 100% Citra.

Joel
Really? The Epic Brewer website says it's two types of US hops and two types of NZ hops. Or maybe it's all a ruse...

http://www.epicbeer.com/beer.html#epic-hopzombie

joel connolly said:
Hey legends

Joel
I can next to guarantee this is not the case. He only has three single hopped brews: Pale Ale, Mosiac and Zythos. The last two are under the "one trick pony" monker.

Trying to brew a clone this weekend.
Using 60%Pale malt,35%Pils malt,5%Caramunich
wanting to get around 65-70 IBU Hops Cascsade,Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin
Not really sure about hop schedule/rates
Comments?

^ In the link above it is just Pale and then Pils.

Nick JD said:
I brewed an APA with about 35 IBUs of Galaxy at 15 minutes (a single addition) and it was fantastic in the fermenter and fading a little in 2ndary.

So I added 1g/L of Galaxy in the keg. Within a day the keg was ruined. Tasted like getting a handful of dark green Celery leaves, and blending them with Pasito.

The Pasito I wanted; the sharp grassiness I didn't.

EDIT: Citra is the best dry hopper I've ever come across.
Agree wholeheartedly - never, ever, ever, ever dry hop with Galaxy. It works fantastic as a 10 minute addition, but is nastier than drag queen with no chicken fillets as a dry hop.

Citra = the best dry hopper in existence. If you use NS very moderately in conjunction with Citra as a dry hop - it works really well.

I have an extremely strong feeling that Mosaic will join Citra at the top of the list (though in 2nd place). I've just kegged a batch with 3.75g/L dry hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Cascade for 4 days, and it is an excellent beer out of the fermenter (which means flat, and cool not cold), and my missus (Vale:IPA lover) is impressed with the aroma from the hydrometer tube.

I had to brew with the malt I had available at the time, which was 87.9% JW Pils and 12.1% Medium Crystal (above my normal % of crystal use), mashed low to dry it out. US05, the usual culprit, doing its usual thing (not dropping out well enough until it's almost frozen).

I have some Simpsons Maris Otter, which will be made into another APA after I sort out some other beers, and that will be the usual Viscount is Dead Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale. Probably dry hopped a little (not as extreme as the above, that was a panic correction) with Mosaic.

Let me know if a recipe for the bottled beer is needed. It should give you a base to work from.

tanukibrewer said:
Trying to brew a clone this weekend.
Using 60%Pale malt,35%Pils malt,5%Caramunich
wanting to get around 65-70 IBU Hops Cascsade,Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin
Not really sure about hop schedule/rates
Comments?
Should only need 1-2% of Caramunich for this beer. (the true Hop Zombie apparently uses none)
My recipe at the top of this page has turned out pretty good, but I didn't end up using anything for dry hopping other than Citra.
So 30g of each of the hops at 10 mins, another 10g of each at 0 mins, dry hopped with 20g of Citra. Added a few grams of Citra and Summit at 60 mins to get the bitterness right.
If I did it again I'd use Cascade instead of Summit (or Centennial if you have it) and I'd use less Nelson Sauvin as this over-powered the others a bit.

Latest posts

Back