English Bitter Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoptoit

Reaction score
Hey guys u probably have been asked this a million times before but im putting down an English Bitter tonight and have got some Fuggles pellets aswell as Pride of Ringwood pellets and POR Flowers and wondering which order i should go about hopping it? i also have some American Oak i would like to add in a Muslin bag has anyone done this before? appreciate any feedback thanks.

Flowers are usually best used late, or dry hopped with - but many people will frown upon using POR for a late addition in general.

I've only used POR pellets for bittering additions, so that's about where I draw a blank, sorry.

Do a 50/50 por/fuggles. Take into account the different AA% for rach hop.

Use some fuggles at 20min.

Por is perfectly fine in english beers and suits quite well. I would use the flowers late to get the most from them

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ok cool cheers guys and how late would u recommend adding the flowers?

POR in an English Bitter? I suppose it will give you the bitterness but what is your grain bill/recipe, fuggles will suite if it's a darker style bitter then all the better but i would not suggest POR as sub for a decent English hop.

Ok and I using the muntons Yorkshire bitter kit not sure of the grain bill as I cheated and bought it mixed ready to mash but it is a darker bitter

You probably only need 20 to 30 grams of Fuckalls late and dry hop with some Ringwood should be ok.

Thanks guys its done now just waiting for it to cool down to add yeast

Ducatiboy stu said:
....Those that can not accept the mighty POR......
I use quite a bit of POR, I just wouldn't use it as a flavour/aroma addition in an English Bitter.

jyo said:
Have you tried this?
Yeah its alright dry hopped. I don't like it as a late addition though normally, but am planning to use some late in a stout to balance the sweetness.
I'd be doing the stout today if I had all the ingredients.

Back