Efficiency: 50%

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably don't need a new one, just need to adjust the existing one. That's assuming that the base grain is the same as what Nd sold you.

Also, as your brewing skills improve, so will your efficiency. So often newer brewers are fretting about low efficiency, when this is low on what they need to concentrate on. After 5 brews is the time to start addressing poor efficiency.

i like to use a thicker mash in the 2.5L/KG mark as enzyme activity is suposed to be stronger in a thigk mash.

When the mash is done i flood the mash with 77 deg c water untill my mash ton is full to the top to thin it out as much as possible. I give it a good stir and recirculate till its clear and then pump to the kettle. instaed of 1.086 initial runnings i get it down to 1.070 and it flows much faster. It also seems to take out more of the sugars. I then batch sparge once with the same method, stir, recirculate till clear and pump to the kettle.
I get readings in the 1.028 mark instead of 1.040 which tells me i have removed nore sugars.
I typically get 75 to 80% efficiency with a single infusion mash.

cheers

Back