• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Young NSW Massive Deep freezer.. I paid $1400 a month ago for a similar sized unit

$600

make a killer Keezer :super:
Didn't see that in the kegging setups thread?

fdsaasdf said:
Rather inexpensive-looking temperature controller - has anyone experience with these? I am not so fond of the idea of wiring up my own STC-1000....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Temperature-Controller-Beer-Fermentation-Wired-Fridge-Freezer-Thermostat-/291259233923?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item43d0673683&_uhb=1
"Can be used for heating or for cooling".

You'll probably want one that will do both... First part of ferment is very exothermic, you'll need to be able to keep the temp down. After it calms down a little, you'll want to be able to maintain the temp with a heat pad/belt/lamp/etc.

Ed: Beaten by quick typey fingers Yob... :)

fdsaasdf said:
Rather inexpensive-looking temperature controller - has anyone experience with these? I am not so fond of the idea of wiring up my own STC-1000....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Temperature-Controller-Beer-Fermentation-Wired-Fridge-Freezer-Thermostat-/291259233923?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item43d0673683&_uhb=1
I've got one. Seems to do the job. I've got the probe in a little pocket of camping mat foam I stuck to the side of the fermenter with silicon. I'm in Brisbane, so only heat or cool will be OK for a fermentation fridge (I hope)

mofox1 said:
"Can be used for heating or for cooling".

You'll probably want one that will do both... First part of ferment is very exothermic, you'll need to be able to keep the temp down. After it calms down a little, you'll want to be able to maintain the temp with a heat pad/belt/lamp/etc.

Ed: Beaten by quick typey fingers Yob... :)
thanks to you, Yob and motman - will grab one I think as ambient temps around here rarely drop below 20deg for 10 months of the year...

Picked up a thermapen today, half price due to printing error on the case, $65 including shipping from the UK.
Link

Are the thermapens significantly better than the other options out there? How quick are they in real use?

lael said:
Are the thermapens significantly better than the other options out there? How quick are they in real use?
A professional tool that is incredibly accurate at +/- 0.4c and a very fast 3 second read for half the price of similar instruments. It comes with a certificate of calibration and is lifetime guaranteed.
I bought one a few months ago on ebay for my sister who feels the need for every kitchen gadget available and have been watching them ever since to get one for myself.
I am just finding it hard to justify the purchase of a $65 thermometer - I cook and bake a lot and brew up to 60 batches a year and have managed to do so without a thermapen all this time.
Saying that, I could buy it for "peace of mind" - to reliably calibrate all the other thermometers....

Back