Easily available 250ml bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentnose

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making some strong beers in the future but would like to do a smaller batch and bottle them in smaller bottles, say 250ml. Does anyone know of a place were these can be easily obtained. I did come across some swing top bottles on-line at Brewcraft in Perth, but they are clear and $3.75 each. Any options for something cheaper and browner?

do they still make those little VB "hand grenades"? I think they were about 250ml

250ml would be a little tougher to get but most craft beers are 330ml. Obviously the smaller the bottle the more bottles you're going to need to clean. I spose once you've been kegging awhile anything bottle related becomes a pain in the ass. 330ml would be a good size because when you pour a beer and you leave the sediment behind you'd have just over a pot left anyway.

Bentnose said:
I thought they were still 375ml.
They used to have 250ml "throwdowns". If you don't mind PET, you can get soft drinks from Coles/woolies or the fruit markets that are cheap and 250ml.

bradsbrew said:
They used to have 250ml "throwdowns". If you don't mind PET, you can get soft drinks from Coles/woolies or the fruit markets that are cheap and 250ml.
Do they still make throwies? Used to drink them on camping and fishing trips before my HB days.

OOPS!
post-21635-0-32552000-1376698117_thumb.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Hit your local recycled depot. Breezer type bottles are 280/285ml by memory.
There is a range of bottled water getting around 'mykos' I think that are 250ml and green, I had about 2 dozen because I had the same idea to do a strong ale and bottle in small bottles,
Got sick of 'em sittting around and threw them out.

156.png

I've also had a few of these, probably not as easy to track down. 220ml with a crown seal. my local stocks them.

So many memories of drinking throw downs. Carton of 24 was $16.........

Still 250ml and you can stillbuy them.

Bridges said:
These or these (tough choice!) or as others have said stick with 330ml.
These are probably the go, Tooheys New is cheaper so that would be the go, I could get the blokes at work to drink it, or throw it out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, didn't realise there were so many options. I wouldn't need many as my intention is to do a batch big enough to accomodate 40 x 250ml and 6 long necks for competitions. I'd like to make some beers over 10% alcohol and would prefer a smaller size with this alcohol level.

Bentnose said:
Hmm maybe Tooheys New isn't available in Victoria, I think the blokes at work prefer VB anyway.
I prefer the shape of the Tooheys bottle myself.
My local Dan's doesn't have it in stock but according to the website they can be ordered for delivery.
I'd imagine the glass would be quite thin though.

Latest posts

Back