Dusseldorf Alt.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gough said:
I'm planning on using the 1007 yeast - I've used it in Kolsch styles before and it has cleared OK after lagering.

Sounds like AusDB agrees also. Will have to consider giving it a shot next time I am after a yeast for this kind of style.

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I've always fermented 1338 at 18 to 20C without any problems.

I shall try and stay at of below 18 then, may try for 16 and see what happens. Can only end in disaster. :)

Doc, I thought of using xtal in the recipe but was a bit worried about it impacting on the dryish finish this style is supposed to have? Looks like Ross has also a fair bit of xtal in there as well. Interested to hear how they finish.

I will be going for about 40IBU using Perle @ 60mins.

[/quote]

Bloody hell that is a serious malt bill! Go Ross! Mine is a bit simpler. Mix of Light and Dark Munich and 1% choc. Hope it does the job.

Shawn.
[post="61973"][/post]​
[/quote]

Shawn - My oatmeal stout has 11 grains & adjuncts, don't know when to stop sometimes ;-)...

Ross said:
Shawn - My oatmeal stout has 11 grains & adjuncts, don't know when to stop sometimes ;-)...
[post="61977"][/post]​

:beerbang:

Maybe we should setup a challenge to brew with the most malts/adjuncts in a (drinkable) brew. You've set the benchmark at 11, do we have any advances on 11...

Shawn.

I've got what will hopefully be a vaguely alt-like beer in primary at the moment, has just finished fermenting. I wish I'd found this thread before brewing, but I don't think I would have changed too much. Well, maybe just a little.

I just hope some of you mad keen alt makers will keep some aside and enter them into the Alt class at this years ANAWBS.

That would make a killer comp to judge :beer: , or in my case, at least Steward :)

if i qualify i will enter one for you stu.

cheers
big d

big d said:
if i qualify i will enter one for you stu.

cheers
big d
[post="63088"][/post]​
If you qualify? - ANAWBS is a national comp, open to all. Get it in big d :)

hello brewingtonsfieldvillingtons,
a couple of recipes here with what i think is too much crystal malt, i don't think you need any at all. Iam with jasony original post bringing up the thread again with a mass of munich malt and a tad of pils and some roasted malt to get it into the colour range.
I did a 50 litre batch and spilt it between 1338 and 1007 and 1338 i picked as the better beer.
Mash temp i always keep down as low as possible and as such don't find much difference in the attenuation of either yeast. I do the ferment at 16-18 and as some people have claimed 1007 isn't very flocculant, i haven't had any probs getting it clear after keeping it cold for a couple weeks.
I think the different attenuation with the two yeast would come into play more when you mash a bit higher, something you don't want to do with a alt loaded with munich malt anyway

Anyway good luck alt brewers.
Sympathy for the devil
Jayse

JasonY said:
THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I've always fermented 1338 at 18 to 20C without any problems.

I shall try and stay at of below 18 then, may try for 16 and see what happens. Can only end in disaster. :)

Well looks like I have been caught out, I decided to test the gravity today (6 days since pitching) and it is only at 1.030 (OG 1.054). It has been pretty cold at night here which has pushed the temp in the freezer to 12deg over night :( Have the heater belt on it now and a gentle rock to try and get the yeast moving. Tastes bloody nice however.

Back