Dunkelweizen recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about dark wheat and munich in equal parts as a base, or would that be too full on?

The BJCP guidelines mention vienna and munich, just curious what place they could have - smaller additions or as part of base malt?

I'm new to dunkelweizens and the only time I had a crack was using grain which I already had on hand (pale wheat / munich). Will get some dark wheat for sure next time.

I disagree entirely with the idea that it's a waste of time decocting a dark beer and I don't really see this as being full of heavily crystallised malts.

Adittionally crystal malt and decoctions don't taste the same.

I get your perspective on the issue and I have no desire to convert you nor endlessly argue the point.

I think decoctions bring something ingredients on their own don't. You don't.

For a DW grist I'd be keeping it simple like a hefe - 60/40 - 50/50 pils/wheat but make the wheat dark and throw in some choc wheat or possibly carafa spec if you can't get your hands on the choc wheat. I probably wouldn't put crystal anything in there. Boil a bit longer for extra colour and flavour development before adding first hops.

My mash regime has already been suggested.

Hop 15-20 IBU with tettnanger or hallertau, 3068 yeast.

Going for a 60/40 split on the base malts and will be brewing on sunday. I have parenting to do so I set the mash profile for longer than probably required in order to be a dad while making beer too...lol

Malts

Wheat Dark GER - 58%
Munich Light GER - 38%
Wheat Chocolate GER - 2%
CaraWheat GER - 2%
Rice Hulls - 300g ( as the wheat content is 62%)

Hops

Hallertau Mittelfruh GER - 28g for 60 mins = 15 IBU

1.4 litre starter of Weihenstephen Wyeast 3068

Mash Profile

Temp 40/55/62/68/72/78
Time 20/20/20/60/20/15

:icon_drool2:

Watch the ferulic acid rest times, less is best in my opinion, it can really create an over the top clove character in the beer.
I would mash in at 40 then ramp up to your protein rest pretty much straight away.

so i went about making this dunkelweizen and was thinking about how Yob forgot to check his HLT temp the other day and had a mistake when mashing>>>>low and behold i put the malt pipe in and proceeded to add the malt....fark....1kg later i realised the bottom filter/screens were not in yet....argh! pull out the pipe and emptied now yellowy water into esky, malt into seperate container, gave the vessel a rinse, added back yellowy water and malt pipe with screens added malt....saved her :D

I'm putting this one down on the weekend:

Style: Dunkelweizen

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.91 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.30 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
2.30 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (7.0 SRM) Grain 2 45.5 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.20 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (50.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
25.00 g Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 6 -

Single infusion mash @ 66C...

phoneyhuh said:
I'm putting this one down on the weekend:

Style: Dunkelweizen

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.91 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.30 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
2.30 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (7.0 SRM) Grain 2 45.5 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.20 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (50.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
25.00 g Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 6 -

Single infusion mash @ 66C...

Something I learned today with the use of 3068.....it's a monster! I pitched a 1.3lt starter into 22lt of 1.047 dunkelweizen wort and within a day the krausen bustin out the lid and my blowoff valve/tube in a glass of water was over flowing with krausen/yeast.

After cleaning it up and headin to work I arrived home to find another full glass with brown krausen overflowing....

Pratty1 said:
Something I learned today with the use of 3068.....it's a monster! I pitched a 1.3lt starter into 22lt of 1.047 dunkelweizen wort and within a day the krausen bustin out the lid and my blowoff valve/tube in a glass of water was over flowing with krausen/yeast.

After cleaning it up and headin to work I arrived home to find another full glass with brown krausen overflowing....
I use a 2 liter flask as a blow off bubbler, and usually sit this in a 10 liter pot to catch the overflow when using 3068.

If it doesnt make a mess for you, your doing something wrong :p

from experience, who can tell me if i should cold crash a dunkelweizen before kegging? i was thinking of doing it at 2c for 4-5days while away for easter. now im looking for a clarity but i have toned my CC from 2 weeks to 2-4days as part of the process.

I moved it from primary to secondary on sunday and its at 1.009 gravity which gives me a 5% beer.

I woulednt say 2 deg is necessary, but 4 or 5 deg for a couple days to settle out the bulk of the yeast and break material out will do.

Then just dump it in the keg and carb it up :)

manticle said:
Not really no but we can disagree on that without the world coming to an end. I think of much of your analogy as comparing EKG to nan's perfume but then I never knew your Nana.

Decoction, in my experience, brings a great character to a beer, including weizens, alts and various belgians.
Don't listen to that other decont hating bloke. He probably microwaves his bread and calls it toast.

I went on about a bock schedule before, but decided on something I could get drinking a little sooner. So I'll be doing a simple 50 /50 pilsner wheat followed by a dunkel.

Would recommend a single decont for for a wheat / dunkel? Where abouts?

Ok the dunkelweizen is kegged and bottled. I had It cold crashed at 4c for the Easter weekend while I was away. Had a taste test from the keg and am happy with the turned out, should be bloody tasty in a week when the carbonation is right. Thanks to those who posted to help out with this.

Hi guys,

I'm 10 AG brews in and now putting together my first recipe. Love a good dunkel (paulaner and franziskaner some of my faves) so thought I'd go for it.

Read heaps of different threads and recipes and my recipe went from simple to complicated and back... (50/50 wheat/pils + colour > dark wheat + pils + munich + choc wheat + carawheat + bicuit.....)

anyway here's where my recipe is at right now, what do you guys think? Interested in the differences between using carafa and/or chocolate wheat for colour. Also using pils - pils/munich or just munich?

(Dunkelweizen)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 18.1 (EBC): 35.7
Bitterness (IBU): 17.8 (Average)

51% Wheat Malt, Dark
22% Munich I
22% Pilsner
2.5% Carafa II malt
2.5% Melanoidin

1.2 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (5.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C with Safbrew WB-06

cheers guys

Hi Dane,

The recipe looks good.

I would only reccommend you spend that little extra on the Wyeast 3068 as get a better yeast flavour into the final beer, you will be glad you did.

Dan

Dunkelweizen turned out bloody tasty.

Dunkelweizen 2013.JPG

Pratty1 said:
Hi Dane,

The recipe looks good.

I would only reccommend you spend that little extra on the Wyeast 3068 as get a better yeast flavour into the final beer, you will be glad you did.

Dan
I have just downed the first of my dunkelweizens done with 3068, after having done quite a few weizen brews with wb-06. To be honest it's a very, very similar flavour...the 3068 dunkel is not quite as tart as the wb-06, but the taste is still very similar. And not at all like the smooth taste of a commercial Weihenstephan wheat beer.

Not a big issue given I like the flavour, but I was expecting something very different in 3068 vs the wb-06. Makes sense now why there's a lot of conjecture out there that wb-06 is a dried version of 3068.

I've tried wb-06 at both 18 and 23 degrees, and this 3068 brew was done at 22.5 (and underpitched). I'll do my next 3068 dunkel at 17 as suggested elsewhere, but I'm not expecting a huge difference now.

Back