Dryer Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with dryer motors?

I'm specifically trying to work out what RPM the motor runs at. I picked one up today in working order which I plan to use for automating a Crankandstein, but first need to know what ratio gearing I need on it.

It has what appears to be a part number (and date) on it but no other info. I was told it runs at around 450rpm, but I want to be sure before I go out and buy pulleys.

Part Number is 214-300-079A, dated 3 Feb 1999.

Not sure what model it's out of unfortunately.

kook,

assuming its an AC motor its usually either a 2 or 4 pole motor. A 2 pole motor runs at around 3000rpm and a 4 pole at around 1500 rpm. There are other motors with more poles than this that will run slower but the most common motor you'll find in a dryer/ washing machine etc will be a 4 pole so ~ 1500 rpm.

Is there any more info on the motor?

cheers

vl.

I can take some pictures if it would help?

It's an AC motor. The cage is square as such, and there are four main coils. The active lead heads straight into the coily mess. The neutral lead attaches to what appears to be a micro switch? The other side of the switch attaches to two leads which enter the coil.

The switch has a contact which runs against a plate mounted on the motor. The plate appears to move on a spring.

The earth wire attaches to the cage.

4 coils means its a 4 pole motor, so your looking at around 1500 rpm. In reality its more likely 1450rpm or something like that.

Maybe you shoud chuck a photo so I can be 100% sure. I beleive what you have is a capacitor start single phase AC motor with 4 poles, so that should mean 1500rpm MAX. Maybe someone else might care to comment, as I havent dealt with motors like that for a long time. I dont want to lead you astray if I'm wrong. :(

How fast do you want to spin this mill?

cheers

vl.

You only want the mill to turn failry slowly...about 100-150RPM...

One problem you may have with the motor is starting torque...you may need to give it a helping hand to get it started when you feed the grain...

BTW the micro switch will be a centrifugal switch for dropping off the start windings when it gets up to speed.

either that or a TOL

You just need a big pulley on the mill,old twin tub washers have what you want.

Batz

I can work out the pulley diameters for you if I can remember trade school :blink:

Batz

You just need a big pulley on the mill,old twin tub washers have what you want.

Batz

I can work out the pulley diameters for you if I can remember trade school :blink:

Batz

Sounds like about 7 - 8:1 Batz, will have plenty of torque.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it's perfect for the job. There are plenty of articles out there about speeding down these motors using pulleys including one from BYO.

Timmy, that makes a lot of sense about the switch now, as the lever seems to run against a spring loaded centrifuge.

Latest posts

Back