Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
This will be my third brew,and my first post. Looking to add some hops for a bit of a change to the K+K,Been reading a lot of info from this forum.
So! the question , if i am not going to rack to secondary, i wait till primary fermentation has slowed than just unscrew fermenter lid chuck in the hops screw lid on wait 7 to 10 days check hydrometer readings are consistent than bottle.
Any comments or advice would be great.
Thanks. :rolleyes:
Great site guys have learnt a lot and i know there is so much more to learn.

That's exactly how you dry hop.
Go for it, you'll enjoy the improvement in your beer.

I'd strongly suggest racking as well. Yes, it seems like extra effort, and you need another fermenter or a cube or something else to put it in, but it really does improve your brews big time.

This will be my third brew,and my first post. Looking to add some hops for a bit of a change to the K+K,Been reading a lot of info from this forum.
So! the question , if i am not going to rack to secondary, i wait till primary fermentation has slowed than just unscrew fermenter lid chuck in the hops screw lid on wait 7 to 10 days check hydrometer readings are consistent than bottle.
Any comments or advice would be great.
Thanks. :rolleyes:
Great site guys have learnt a lot and i know there is so much more to learn.

A hop sock is cheap, and a very very very very good investment, whether you bottle or keg.

I'd strongly suggest racking as well. Yes, it seems like extra effort, and you need another fermenter or a cube or something else to put it in, but it really does improve your brews big time.

Sorry to disagree, but unless you have a space issue, so want to transfer to a cube, or you intend lagering for a long period & want to get off the yeast cake; racking to a seperate vessel IMO won't improve your beer. If anything, leaving the beer on it's yeast cake will improve the beer as it continues to clean up the beer. I'm very interested why people reckon this is improving there beers...maybe a good thread to start, as going off topic here...

+++

Back on topic - Malbur, Yes spot on - Just make sure you are adding fresh hops from a reputable supplier - Stale hops will ruin your beer.

cheers Ross

That's it, worked for me.

I'd recommend using some sort of hop sock though, just a boiled nylon stocking should do.

Slightly off topic but not by much, any good articles on the Hops and the flavours they add. I could experiment but would take a 100 brews to go through them all.

Back on topic - Malbur, Yes spot on - Just make sure you are adding fresh hops from a reputable supplier - Stale hops will ruin your beer.

[/quote]

Ross, I am not shore how fresh the hops are they where from my LHBS.
They were sealed brewcraft packet. guess i will just have to take the risk and learn from my actions,might be better ordering online from a site supporter.

Thanks every one for your advice, i won't be racking at this stage anyway maybe in the future with more experience.

I agree with Ross,

The beer benefits from sitting on the yeast cake and you will not get off flavours for several weeks, especially if you have some temperature control. It is much more likely to do harm than good unless you do it for a specific reason. I no longer rack any of my beer. Only used to do it because I was told to.

MFS

The beer benefits from sitting on the yeast cake and you will not get off flavours for several weeks, especially if you have some temperature control. It is much more likely to do harm than good unless you do it for a specific reason. I no longer rack any of my beer. Only used to do it because I was told to.

MFS
[/quote]

Temp control is finally ok! I got my hands on some twin layered plastic-perspex sheeting made up a box that holds my fermenter and some 2L frozen milk bottle. holding 18 to 20 deg all good.

Back