Dry Hopping Post-fermentation: Will It Do Anything?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or eating bread while smelling vanilla essence...your body will trick you into thinking you are eating ice cream...the body is a crazy thing to mess with ;)

Actually, it is your mind ******* with you.

Bodies are WONDERFUL things to mess with...

grassiness comes from the amount you use and the time you dry hop in my experience and has little to do with post/pre fermentation, though adding pre FG will certainly mellow the whole lot out. I've found the freshest aroma comes from additions post fermentation, if you are getting grassiness, back off time and/or amount.

Try pinching your nose and drinking a beer.

I understand they are linked. But for the purposes of this thread, taste and aroma are very different. Why not just smell a good beer, while drinking a crap one then?

I understand they are linked. But for the purposes of this thread, taste and aroma are very different. Why not just smell a good beer, while drinking a crap one then?

Tried it...works like a gem LOL Corona with a nice hoppy pale ale under the nose ;)

Tried it...works like a gem LOL Corona with a nice hoppy pale ale under the nose ;)

The only way to drink corona, :) Got forced to drink one at a work BBQ last week. Wish I'd have thought about that!

The only way to drink corona, :) Got forced to drink one at a work BBQ last week. Wish I'd have thought about that!

We are the same at work, Friday beers are usually Coronas or Crownies...I bring my own most of the time LOL

Dry hopping a wheat beer with 25g hallertau right now! Dropped in 4 days into primary fermentation, looking forward to the results :)

Don't do it!
I mean do it and find out, but in general I wouldn't dry hop a wheat beer and on top of that I wouldn't dry hop any beer with Hallertauer.

But maybe I got it all wrong and you're onto a winner, let us know.

The Murrays Grand Gru is dry hopped with Halletau as far as I know and its a great drop. I say throw the hops in have a homebrew and relax.....

Another dry hopping q for you.

I'm planning on dry hopping after 7 days in the primary (so fermentation will be complete). At this stage I will be racking to secondary directly onto my hops. I will leave the beer for another 5 days at the same temp (18.3 deg), and after this I will crash chill it (in the same vessel) for a good 5 or 6 days.

Does this sound like an ok plan? First time dry hopping here.

Once I crash chill, does this technically stop the 'dry hopping' process? Reason I ask is that I don't want to leave the hops in there for too long as I have read dry hopping for long periods can have unwanted tastes and aromas. I figure if the hops are doing their thing for 5 days, then I crash chill, they will stop? Correct?

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. :mellow: However, according to actual experts (Stone Brewing, page 42, amazing clone recipes in that article too), yeast "sucks up" hop components and they recommend dry hopping in as clear a beer as possible for maximum hoptitude.

I wonder if crash chilling then transferring to secondary BEFORE dry hopping is the way to go? You'd need to warm the secondary up to room temperature again before you added the hops, but evidently the less yeast the better it works. I've never done this, but I'm thinking about doing it with an IPA I have brewing at the moment.

Latest posts

Back