Dry Hopping Amounts...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
Just putting a partial lager recipe in the Secondary and want a suggestion on how many grams of Saaz i should add to just give it a hint of hoppiness up front.

The recipe was :

Coopers Pilsner Liquid Malt Extract - 1.7Kg

1 Kg Light DME

Grains : Pilsner Malt (German) 200g , Vienna Malt 200g

Saaz Pellets : 10g Approx. (Flavour)

Yeast : Saflager S23

cheers

cL

Adding hops in secondary won't provide bitterness only aroma/flavour. Rule of thumb is 1g/L but that's a starting point, depending on the hop and what you get from it.

Cheers,

Screwy

Hey Screwy would that 1gr/L apply to all beer styles...im doing a double/imperial ipa and was hopeing to dry hop it with simcoe

Hey Screwy would that 1gr/L apply to all beer styles...im doing a double/imperial ipa and was hopeing to dry hop it with simcoe

Not hard and fast OB, just a starting point, Simcoe is up there in citrus aroma/flavour so might be a good place to start. For a big thing like a 2IPA maybe use another 1g/L of something with some earthiness or grapefruit or marmalade, thinking Chinook or Cascade or maybe Columbus or Galaxy. A 2IPA should cope with it, what do others think?

Screwy

Not hard and fast OB, just a starting point, Simcoe is up there in citrus aroma/flavour so might be a good place to start. For a big thing like a 2IPA maybe use another 1g/L of something with some earthiness or grapefruit or marmalade, thinking Chinook or Cascade or maybe Columbus or Galaxy. A 2IPA should cope with it, what do others think?

Screwy
Thanks ! I'm just going for upfront aroma and a little flavour ; went with approx 10Grams.

cL

I agree with Screwy's suggestion as a starting point. For a IIPA though, I think that you'll probably be happier with a bit more. I've never gone really wild with dry hopping, but a recent American IPA I did around 2g/l and that wasn't too much at all. In fact, I think I'll bump it up a bit next time.

Thanks bloke,

Ill have 30g of Simcoe to dry hop and ie got about 20gr of cascade leftovers so ill give them both a go.

WOW...this will bring the hop bill up to 150gr in a 20 lt brew........ :icon_drool2:

Another thing to consider when dry-hopping may be how long you are going to mature the beer. Hop aroma appears to be the first thing to fade with time.

Saaz can give some grassiness when dry hopped (at least it has to me) so I wouldn't leave it in too long.

Saaz can give some grassiness when dry hopped (at least it has to me) so I wouldn't leave it in too long.

I made a Pils with 20g saaz at the 15 and 30 min mark, then 5g at dryhop, and found the flavour to be a bit too much. Next time, I think I'll go a 20 min addition and same dryhop. Fresh Saaz is a beautiful thing, but I wouldn't overdo it.

Thanks bloke,

Ill have 30g of Simcoe to dry hop and ie got about 20gr of cascade leftovers so ill give them both a go.

WOW...this will bring the hop bill up to 150gr in a 20 lt brew........ :icon_drool2:

Not too much if it is a normal American IPA. For an Imperial it seems a bit on the low side. An Imperial should have some sugar left in it and the extra alcohol needs to be balanced with malt and hops.

Back